Becky Wilson's Media EvalutaionPresentation Transcript
A2 Media Music Video Evaluation By Rebecca Wilson
Contents• Introduction• In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?• How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?• What have you learned from your audience feedback?
Introduction• This is my evaluation to my A2 music media coursework, I have enjoyed doing this music video because it has challenged my skills I achieved last year, by pushing them even further this year, because this is something I have never had a chance of doing before so it will be very much a learning experience. I am expecting to gain knowledge and new skills in editing and researching. Because I have quite a mixed group with a various skills and taste, we should be able to reach more people by combining our skills to create a better music video. I liked that we had to put all our work onto a blog, because that way it made it easier to track our progress and to keep all of our work in one place, it also made it easier not to loose work. I really enjoyed this project as a whole, but the part I most enjoyed was the editing of the video, because in my future career it hopefully will evolve editing, and I did find it a challenge at first to get the hang of it, yet it was beneficial because of what I did learn from it.
In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?• In our music video we kept to most of the conventions of a real music video by having a running narrative where the actress mimed along to the music, keeping the narrative running and relating to the storyline we have.Also we stuck to the codes and conventions when we did the Digipak andadvert making them relate to one another, which is what artists do when theyadvertise a new CD, so by doing this it will make it easier to spot our producton the market after seeing the advert because then the audience know whatthey are looking for. We also did a photo shoot for the main photographs yousee on the Digipak, this is so it is obvious what we are advertising and who weare advertising, we also went for the ‘less is more’ approach. Which is whatKaty Perry did with ‘Hot ‘n’ Cold’ and ‘I Kissed a Girl’ so by repeating thisdesign and by keeping to some of her conventions such as the big bubblywriting, it will make it clear who are work is for and representing.
• We used very basic camera work, to simply follow the story and the characters through different scenes, we decided to do this because in Katy Perry’s music videos usually she has very simple camera movements, maybe a few pans and a dolly cam, but nothing to extreme, so we also wanted to keep our music video in a way to resemble hers also we wouldn’t of been able to do anything over the top because we didn’t have the access to that equipment. The scenes walking through the park, we decided to do walking with the characters and not a steady cam because when you are walking its not all smooth, and also it was to show the ups and downs in a relationship that it isn’t all smooth and easy, so by doing this and adding the roughness back into the video it should seem more down to earth and relatable, which is what we what our music video to be. We found out what camera work Katy Perry’s music videos normally use by the research we did watching her music videos, and we also found that she does not only obviously sing the song but she also does the narrative throughout by miming and also is the main actress in her videos so she is very involved throughout all the stages and we did this by in our video, having the video revolve around our main actress and that in the photo shoot it all revolved around her. So the simplicity of the video showed more of the actress off just as Katy Perry does in her adverts.
• Editing is the part I most enjoyed with this music video because the editing with the Digipak and advert was very simple as we already had the designs laid out and all we had to do was insert the images. For the editing of the music video first we put it all into block, such as all the park scene on the round about was together, all the walking in the woods, the throwing leaves was all together, so it was just blocks of footage which went on too long. When we watched it back we realised it didn’t meet the conventions Katy Perry used where the scenes we more jumpy, still relating to the story but they weren’t as fixed. So we changed our video so it was more mixed, and so the shots where shorter, and realised this version met the conventions of Katy Perry’s music videos more so we used this as our final video. If we had more time I would of completely mixed up the music video and the scenes so they jumped around a lot more, to see if this looked better, because we had the option of doing this because our video is based on an idea of a dream and dreams tend to jump around a lot and not make much sense, so that could have also worked. Yet I am pleased with our finished result.
• Mise-en-scene for the Digipak and advert was very simple because for the photo shoot the props we used was simply a chair so the actress could be shoot in different positions providing various shoots and angles to choose from. The locations we used for the shoot as well was a photo studio which we chose because it would provide the right lighting and background to concentrate on our main actress with. Our locations in the music video were chosen because they we easily accessible and in distance of each other so we would not waste time travelling. Also because they added to the over all effect of the music video for example the walking through the woods is something people do for an adventurous thing and the sun gleaming through the trees made it quite mystical and unreal, like a dream, also we chose these locations because they would be a quiet environment to shoot in, so we wouldn’t get disturbed by people walking through our shoots or staring at the camera. We didn’t use any extra props in the music video which made it easier to get from location to location as we didn’t need to carry anything. In Katy Perry’s music videos she does use over the top props but we would be unable to access them for our video in time, and also any over the top props might not of worked with the main idea with our video. The only thing I would change if we where to do the video again would be the actresses look, because it is a very modern look which could help attract a wider audience but it was not totally Katy Perry, it was more Katy Perry with a teenage twist which has made our music video unique, but if we were to do it again it would be nice to see if the costume made any difference to the finished product.
• The performance element of the music video was very easy as our actors were comfortable with each other and listened to instructions well, and were willing and very out going. Which did make our whole video a lot easier to produce. We included the narrative were our main actress mimed along to the chorus, we only had her mime the chorus because from our primary research we found out people find the storyline more important than footage of the band and just the singer. We did shoot the performance scenes a few times so we had enough footage to choose from and so we had extra bits if there were any mistakes or bloopers. We needed our actors to appear natural because that is how Katy Perry appears in her videos, the level of acting is important because in her music video of Teenage Dream it is like she really is with the guy and that they are very close and so we tried to show that through our music video as well, hoping that will come across. Because we believe our narrative and our acting did compliment each other well it should help produce a good final piece, by being able to see the chemistry and the enjoyment our actors had toward each other while shooting our music video. There wasn’t much performance needed when we did the photo shoot as it just required us to direct our actress how to act and produce Katy Perry style poses, at first after the initial awkwardness and after we got the hang of the shoot it was easy to take to photos and to direct our actress.
• The layout of our 6 panel Digipak follows the normal conventions for a Digipak by having the CD and DVD on the inside and then some writing either lyrics of song information on the out side and the middle, each panel having a photograph. This is the usual style for Digipak to advertise and to explain what they contain, we also used a colour scheme to relate to our audience which is pink, because that stereotypically is a colour in which all girls like, and a colour that Katy Perry regularly includes in all her campaigns, writing and music videos, so by using this colour it will make our product recognisable to our audience. On our advert we changed the colour scheme to a blue, keeping the images the same to relate to the Digipak and keeping the writing and style the same to relate to the Katy Perry style.
• The font we had to use throughout this project had to include Katy Perry’s style, which isn’t normally found on word, so we had to go onto the internet to find it to use. This is because it is Katy Perry’s signature writing, and that you can usually recognise her products by this style of writing so it was very important we found and used it where ever we had to write her name, or the name of her songs.
How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?• I believe our products as a whole are very effective as they cover all the different media levels, because we have our music video on YouTube and Katy Perry fan sites, to attract attention and popularity to our music video, the idea being that they will give feedback on it. So we will know if we have reached our target audience successfully. Also because our advert can be put into a magazine that is covering another range of the media, and by putting it into a magazine which we believe will be popular with our target audience, it will attract a lot more attention to our music video. Our Digipak and advert relate to the music video because they are focused on our main actress, and in some of the photos she is having fun and being quite lively like she was in the music video, so that links them. This year it has been easier to reach our target market than last year because we can go onto fan sites dedicated to Katy Perry. I believe our advert works very well to promote our album because it states where you can buy it ‘iTunes’.
• A way we could have made our Digipak and advert more relating to the music videos would have been if we took pictures whilst we were filming or took print screens of the video. We didn’t do this because when we were filming we came up against difficulties whilst filming with the weather and transport, so we were more focused on getting the video done. When we tried to take screen shoots from the music video they either came out blurred or the expression or the position of the actors wasn’t quite right. So we thought a photo shoot would be more appropriate as Katy Perry has previously done this.
What have you learned from your audience feedback?Questionnaire What do you think the best storyline for a music video are?How old are you? Love story1-11 Action12-15 Crime16-19 No story line just music Other____________________________________________20+ What do you think is more important in a music videoWhat gender? storyline or footage of the band?Male StorylineFemale Band Do you prefer faster editing or slower or medium?How often do you watch music videos? FastEvery day MediumEvery other day SlowOnce a week Don’t mind OtherOther___________________________________________How often do you watch music videos about Katy Perry?Every dayEvery other dayOnce a weekOther___________________________________________
• So from this questionnaire we have found out that our target audience are majority aged between 16-19 and female. Watch a music video once a week, and watch a music video with Katy Perry in every few weeks. The storyline that proved to be the most popular was a love story which is what we will try and make our music video involve because Katy Perry’s most popular music videos involve a love story anyway, which helps us out by being able to see how she portrays a love story, and that most people think storylines are more important than the actual footage of the band, so we will make sure our storyline is quite dominate in our video. And that most people don’t mind how fast the editing in a music video is.
• After the music video had been made I interviewed a Katy Perry fan I know (India), to see what her opinion was on the music video. Because I realised that she is our target audience so her opinion on the music video is very important, to see if she approves of it.• Do you think the storyline fits well with the song? Why?Yes I do because the main focus is a dream and I like how it is in black and white when she is alone andcolour when she is with her dream man. I also like it at the end when she bumps into him and it turns tocolour. Its an “awwwwwwwwww” kind of story.• Do you think the transitions work well or not? Why?Yes I think they work well. I like the bit in the wood where they are walking along and it cuts to the sameplace throwing leaves at each other. I love the part when she opens the curtains and the it slows downwith the music, really effective.• What do you think of the juxtaposition with the realty in black and white and the dream in colour? Do you think it works? Why?I really like it and think it works a lot because if it was all in colour or black and white that would bereally confusing to distinguish which is which.• What would you do different if you could?I probably would not change anything. I love how the acting is completely natural with Freya and Scott.• Do you enjoy the video overall? How many marks out of five would you give it?Yes I did enjoy the video, I think it is really cute story and I would give it 4 out of 5.
• From the feedback I received India said the black and white, and colour was a good way to state the difference between the dream and reality, because I didn’t tell her anything about the music video before she watched it because I didn’t want to influence her decisions or opinions on it. Also the transitions work well and aren’t to over the top because they simply are moving from each scene. Also the naturalness of Freya and Scott’s relationship came through in the media video because India says it does look natural.
• We also posted our music video onto YouTube and fan sites to receive feedback and to see how much popularity/hits our video got.
How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?• Technologies we used in this project, most didn’t even exist 10 years ago for example we posted our finished music video on YouTube (a worldwide video viewing site) and Facebook (a worldwide social networking site), we used these sites to promote our music video and to receive feedback to see how well the video was received. By putting our music video onto a Katy Perry fan blogging site, we would one reach our target audience. To make better use of this resource would be if we uploaded our music earlier to the YouTube and other blogging sites, by doing this we would have longer to receive feedback from our target audience, which then would help us find out if our music video is approved by our target audience, to see if it was successful or to see about any altercations we should make.
• The hardware we used was very basic as we only required a video camera and a tripod for filming, computers for the editing and uploading the video to the internet and keeping our blogs up to date, and mobile phones for communication. Each of these technologies was very much required, the video camera was necessary for the filming and the tripod was needed to keep the shots still and steady, to give a smoother video. Without being able to edit our videos, the video would not of worked as the scenes we in the incorrect order and it provided us with a freedom to shoot a scene multiple times to make sure we had it correct, also so we could change the scenes around willingly to give different effects to the video. And mobiles we handy when we came up against issues such as problems with transport and finding where about our actors where. Wikipedia was very useful in finding out information about Katy Perry, her music and her inspiration, even though Wikipedia is only 9 years old, we used other sites to find out this information also because Wikipedia is a wiki which means anyone can alter it, so the information on it cannot be fully trusted sometimes, yet it was a big help with our project.
• I liked this transition because it is the first time we go into the dream, and switch to colour.
• I also think the difference between colour and black & white, was very important in this video, because it shows the difference between the dream and reality quite clearly. By the dream being in colour it highlights her emotions toward the guy, displaying how happy with him she is, and then when she is without him it goes to black and white showing how her world is dull and how unhappy she is without him. So when it finally turns back to colour in the end it is a very cliché ending, showing how her dream came true.