Introduction to Illinois Soil and Water Conservation Districts Kelsey Musich, CPESC Resource Conservationist Kane-DuPage Soil & Water Conservation District
Soil and Water Conservation Districts Soil and Water Conservation Districts were an result of the Depression and the dust storms of the 1930’s. These storms brought clouds of dust from the West to the Atlantic Seaboard and beyond. On April 27, 1935 an Act of Congress established the Soil Conservation Service, formerly the Soil Erosion Service. In October of 1994 to the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
1936 - the USDA issued a pamphlet entitled “ A Standard State Soil Conservation Districts Law”
1937 - the Illinois General Assembly adopted the Soil Conservation District Law
“ You had to own land in order to vote for organization,” Giving the local counties control over whether to form a District or not.
1938 - The first IL District formed under the Law was St. Clair County
Other SWCDs followed shortly after
1961 - the Law changed to the Soil & Water Conservation Districts Act
Soil and Water Conservation Districts A Soil and Water Conservation District is a locally organized and locally operated unit of government functioning under Illinois law, to promote protection, maintenance, improvement and wise use of the soil, water and related resources within the District. Directed by 5 elected officials – Board of Directors
Soil and Water Conservation Districts do much for the economy of Illinois. In 2006, nearly $179,000,000 in federal funding was allocated to Illinois to share farmer’s costs and provide incentives for implementing Farm Bill programs.
Much of that money would not be available without soil and water conservation district assistance.