Everything You Need to Know About Measuring Online Results But Were Afraid to Ask April 12, 2010 Steve MacLaughlin Director – Internet Solutions Blackbaud www.blackbaud.com/connections
Internet Management for NonprofitsTed Hart, Steve MacLaughlin, James M. Greenfield, Phillip H. Geier, Jr. Beth Kanter Michael Sola and Tim Kobosko Dottie Schindlinger and Leanne Bergey Russell Artzt, John Murcott, and Mark Fasciano Roger M. Craver and Ryann Miller Steve MacLaughlin Adrienne D. Capps Walter P. Pidgeon Jr. Danielle Brigida and Jonathon D. Colman Marcelo IniarraIraegui and Alfredo Botti Philip King Lawrence C. Henze Andrew Mosawi and Anita Yuen Allan Pressel Michael Johnston and Matthew Barr Catherine Pagliaro Ben Rigby Frédéric Fournier
The Market is Noisy AGENDA What is a metric? Why should I care? Why should I care? Website Metrics Email Metrics Online Fundraising Metrics Social Media Metrics Benchmarking and Beyond
What is a Metric?
A standard unit of measure.
A measurable element of a process or function.
A measuring system that quantifies a trend, dynamic, or characteristic
Why Do Metrics Matter?
Help you understand what’s working and what’s not.
Gives you insights into your constituents.
If you can’t measure it, then you can’t manage it.
What Online Metrics Tell You
Unique Identified Visitors Unique Visitors Visits VALUE OF DATA Page Views Hits VOLUME OF DATA
A request for a file from the web server.
A single web page typically consists of multiple files.
A hit is registered for the page, every image, and any other files present on that page.
A request to load a single web page.
A metric for the entire site or specific content.
A useful metric over a period of time or for a specific event.
A site visit during a set period of time.
A visit contains one or more page views.
A visit helps understand what people do when they visit your site.
A visit by a unique individual.
A unique visitor is typically based on an IP address or cookie.
A unique visitor metric helps compare new visitors to repeat visitors.
Unique Identified Visitors
A visit by a unique identified individual.
A unique identified visitor is tracked based on information stored in a central database.
A unique identified visitor metric is the ultimate metric for tracking website visitor behavior.
Other Website Metrics
Page View Duration
The Metrics that Matter Deliverability Open Rate Click-Through Rate Unsubscribe Rate Conversion Rate Source: ReturnPath
Deliverability Deliverability measures the % emails successfully delivered or not This is an inexact number as not all ISPs report delivered email Your Sender’s Reputation Impacts Deliverability Blackbaud: Sender Score= 70 Accepted Rate= 99.03% Risk= Low Source: ReturnPath
Open Rate Open Rate measures the % of opened emails that were delivered Open Rate can only be tracked on HTML-based emails, not Text emails Many systems block images used to track whether an email has been opened Preview Panes can also provide false-positive open rates The average open rate for known recipients is 19%. Your results may vary BUT… Just getting the message opened doesn’t mean you’re safe A recent Email Sender and Provider Coalition (ESPC) study showed that… 80% of respondents decide whether to click on the "Report Spam" or "Junk" button without opening the actual message Source: MarketingSherpa
Click-Through Rate CTR measures the % of links clicked by unique individuals in an email Be sure to look at both unique and per-individual CTRs in your metrics CTRs are highly dependant on the quality of the email segmentation, content, and design Unsubscribe Rate Unsubscribe Rate measures % of opt-outs from the email Remember…to be CAN-SPAM compliant you must allow for opt-outs Allow people to remove themselves from certain email lists as well as all communication
Conversion Rate Conversion Rate measures % of clickthroughs that resulted in an action Actions could be making a donation, registering for an event, taking a survey, renewing a membership, or some other trackable action Conversion Rate is the ultimate measure of the success of an email campaign Deliverability Rate Open Rate Click-ThroughRate ConversionRate Unsubscribe Rate
How Long Does it Take to Measure Results? 50% of people will open an email in the first 9 hours 75% of people will open an email in the first 28 hours The remaining 25% may take several days The average email campaign has its peak open rate in 14 days What is the Best Day of the Week to Send Email? There is no magic formula…so test, test, and oh yes, TEST! But…the most popular days are Tuesday through Thursday Saturday is the lowest volume email day of the week Source: MarketingSherpa
Even More Email Metrics
# Email Addresses
Average Open Rate
Average Conversion Rate
Revenue Per Email Appeal
Gifts Per Email Appeal
2008 Total Fundraising (US) $292.23 Billion Offline $15.42 Billion Online Source: Giving USA / Blackbaud