Woodward IP Presentation 9-12-2013Presentation Transcript
What we do
Technologies that allow engines to run on natural gas
Where we do business?
China, Korea, India, US, Europe
How much China business experience do we have?
Over 8 years with multi-million sales
• Huge market
• Fast growing market
• Market trends fit well to our strategy
Why China customers use our technology?
• Proven pedigree
• Quality focus is valued
• “Western technology” is highly desired and trusted
How do we protect our business in China?
• Market share
• Intellectual Property
It’s all about VALUE
What is our VALUE in the eyes of our customer?
Our product Value is changing “daily”
• Competitors (our competitors)
• Customer profitability (our customers competitors)
Price < = Customers Perceived Value of our “product”
• Demands for lower price
• Customer pulling more scope of product in house
• Customer invest in their own R&D to replace us with their own
• Local China company offers a similar solution
• IP infringement
• Lose customer!
Out of balance situation attracts IP Infringement!
Increase your Value to keep the balance
• Performance of product
• Quality of product
• Ease of Service and Repair
• Helping solve their problems!
My belief: You cannot rely on any legal protection
3 simple truths about protecting your business
1.You are not “entitled” to anything
2.You have to earn the business
3.You have to earn the right to keep the business
Protect your IP. Protect your business.
• Stay ahead of imitators. INNOVATE. INNOVATE. INNOVATE!
• Superior support (or other complimentary assets)
• Increase complexity (but it not if it reduces the value)
Encrypted software, RFIC
• Price competitively to reduce incentive to imitators / other