1. BDPA MISSION INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY THOUGHT LEADERS BDPA is a global member The focused organization that positions its members at the forefront of the IT indus- try. BDPA is committed to delivering IT excellence to Monthly Newsletter our members, strategic partners, and community. The official newsletter of the BDPA Information Technology Thought Leaders Volume 1 Number 6 JULY 2002 BDPA 2002 CONFERENCE FULL 2-DAY "HANDS-ON" CENTRAL PROFESSIONAL SEMINARS!! CONFERENCE CRITICAL DATES BDPA 2002 24TH ANNUAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE Please note the following deadlines: Tuesday, August 6th & Wednesday, August 7th July 8 Hotel Reservations Discount July 22 Disney Discount Passes July 30 Golf Classic Registration Add value to your career! Increase your skills in key areas! July 30 Last Day of Online Reservations AT BARGAIN PRICES NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE!INTRODUCTION TO XML PROCESSING WITH DB2 UDB THE WORKSHOP FOR DBASJAVA™ Keith E. Gardenhire, Senior Instructor for databaseJacqueline Jones, Sun-certified Java Programmer, products, IBMArchitect DB2 Universal Database is IBMs premier relationalJava, for platform independence, and XML, for data database and the number one relational databaseindependence, are the dynamic duo for software product on the world market. The student will beapplication integration. taken through 2 days of intense DBA tasks using ! Review XML basics DB2 UDB. You will learn the latest tools and tech- ! Learn about the Java™ API for XML Processing niques for doing the daily DBA tasks. Learn how to (JAXP), use the Graphical User Interface latest features and ! Write XML processing applications using JAXP newest tools. Learn how to use Bufferpools to elimi- ! Practice JAXP XSLT transformation, and nate I/O. Create and populate objects will be done ! Discuss evolving Java/XML application trends. using hands on labs. Use the latest tools for manag- ing the DB2 UDB database. Labs will be run on Windows operating system, but the information is directly applicable to running DB2 UDB on AIX. Learn Tips and techniques for better performance. Just think! Youll be able to go back to your INSIDE THIS ISSUE office following training and actually utilize the NBDPA President’s Message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2 skills taught in these sessions! Conference 2002..Multi-Level . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3Register for the 2-day “Handsd-On” Professional Conference 2002 PUBLIC AGENDA. . . . . . . . . . .4Workshops at BDPA website www.bdpa.org U.S. Economy..IT Job Market Impact . . . . . . . . .5 or call 1-800-727-BDPA. The Digital Divide . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6Registration fees for 2-day workshop: NAACP Career Fairs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6 $600 BDPA members; $700 non-BDPA members Corporate Sponsorship Opportunities . . . . . . . .7 LIMITED REGISTRATION. BDPA IT Golf Classic Sponsorship . . . . . . . . . .7 BDPA Events Calendar . . . . . . . . . . .Back Cover Register early to guarantee your seat.
2. National BDPA Presidents Message Welcome to the From the Classroom to the Boardroom BDPA Monthly Milt Haynes, National BDPA President Newsletter If you want to be successful in the Information Technology Industry in todays tough economic times, you need more than education, technical skills and exceptional As a service to our members, the qualifications. The days of the shortage of IT professionals is over. Companies have BDPA Monthly Newsletter is found low cost alternatives like outsourcing and funneling work to offshore compa- distributed to provide pertinent nies. It should be no surprise that, as companies trim their employee base to cut information on National BDPA expenses, more and more highly qualified IT professionals are finding it harder and activities. harder to stay gainfully employed. The BDPA Monthly Newsletter To get a leg up on the competition, you have to find ways to improve your employability. You have will entail such things as: Career to network to get to know hiring managers and IT executives on a first name basis. You have to work and Professional Development together with others and find ways to advance your career by joining professional associations like guidelines, “hot” technical BDPA, the Premier Organization for African Americans in Information Technology. skills, job opportunities, member profiles, upcoming Professional BDPA is a global member focused organization that positions its members at the forefront of the IT and Social events, vision and industry. BDPA is committed to delivering IT excellence to our members, strategic partners, and thought leadership articles from community. BDPA was founded in 1975 and has grown to 3,000 members in over 40 chapters. BDPA the National Executive provides professional development programs and services to help members climb every rung of the Committee as well as other corporate ladder, from the classroom to the boardroom. BDPA members. The BDPA National Conference provides a total information technology experience to high school Hopefully, you will find this pub- students, college students, IT professionals, entrepreneurs, IT senior managers, corporations, aca- lication to be informative and demia, government agencies and the research community. This value-packed slate of offerings insightful. We welcome your given by field experts, exemplifies the BDPA commitment to provide state-of-the-art training, profes- input on the newsletter. sional growth, technical development, entrepreneurial opportunity, and access to leading edge tech- nology to its members, strategic partners, and the community. Comments, suggestions, and opinions can be sent to: The national conference is just one example of how BDPA delivers programs that span the gamut editor@BDPA.org. from the classroom to the boardroom. Throughout the year, BDPA offers community outreach pro- grams that teach elementary school and high school students all about computers, technology and ENJOY! computer programming. This is very significant since many African American students dont attend Reginald J. Gardner schools that even have computers. National BDPA Vice College students find membership in BDPA extremely helpful because it gives them an opportunity President, Member Services to network with industry experts and to gain valuable work experience, and dollars, by participating in the student intern program. By utilizing the BDPA network, college students have a better chance Publication Committee: of landing their first job in IT. Letitia Andrews It does not stop here. BDPA offers a wide variety of professional development programs in (Nokia) Information Technology, Professional Development, Career Development and Leadership Development to help members advance their careers. It doesnt matter whether you aspire to be a Reggie Gardner technical expert, IT manager or an entrepreneur, BDPA offers programs to take you every step of (Sears, Roebuck & Co.) the way, from the classroom to the boardroom. Anita L.Vega Through strategic alliances with the Information Technology Senior Management Forum (ITSMF) (OCCI-NY) and the Society for Information Management (SIM), BDPA provides access to mentoring programs and executive leadership programs that help fill the executive pipeline. Through BDPA, Chief Christopher A. Williams Information Officers and Senior Executives help middle managers move up the ranks into the board- (DeVry University) rooms of Fortune 500 companies. To find out more about BDPA visit our website at www.bdpa.org or give us a call at 800-727-BDPA. NAACP Career Fairs The BDPA Monthly Newsletter http://www.naacpjobfair.com Mailed and electronically forwarded to over 15,000 of our members, July 4 Miami Miami Beach Convention Center friends and supporters. Ad Space is available in several 2002 issues July 9 Philadelphia Pennsylvania Convention Center 1-Page rate : $1500.00 1/2-Page rate: $1000.00 July 11 Atlanta Georgia World Congress Center Two page limit on ad space each month. Act right away! July 25 Boston Boston Marriott Newton For information, contact BDPA National Office at : July 30 Chicago Navy Pier (800) 727-BDPA or info@BDPA.org2 The BDPA Monthly Newsletter
3. BDPA 2002 CONFERENCE CENTRAL 2002 CONFERENCE OFFERS MULTI-LEVEL IT EXPERIENCE!The IT industry is here, its here to stay and it is growing at a "career possibilities". The annual conference offers IT profes-phenomenal rate. Now is the time to get caught up in the whirl- sionals the opportunity to explore new IT horizons, to networkwind of this IT revolution. The BDPA 2002 24th Annual with IT professionals, to explore new employment opportunitiesNational Conference is the perfect and MUST place to be to with corporate sponsors. This is the one place you can literal-become a part of this IT whirlwind. The BDPA National ly swim in IT; from 2-day workshop in DB2 to IT for marketingConference offers the best, most intense, most up-to-date, you business.most IT-power packed conference for African Americans in IT. ENTRY LEVEL ITThis years multi-level conference offers something for EVERY- Individuals just entering the IT field cannot afford to miss thisONE… conference. This is the launch-pad for your career. Where elseYOUTH can you find professionals in almost every concentration of IT.Youth attending the conference are treated to the latest in IT Where else can you find seminars and workshops specificallytechnology, entertainment, special effects from one of this designed to enhance your skills and boost your career. This isworlds leading special effects organizations. The conference the perfect opportunity to improve your IT career position.sponsor, Walt Disney World® will be hosting a number of IT Whether you network and find a mentor, or attend a seminarworkshops, seminars for the participating youth. In addition, that pushes you in a specific IT direction, everything about thisthe youth conference has designed some intense IT related conference will promote positive results in your career. Letsworkshops and seminars to encourage and inspire youth to not forget about the career fair and technology expo which pro-pursue careers in information technology. Learning, excite- vides and excellent opportunity to distribute your resume, havement, food, fun, and astonishment await youth as they enter the and immediate interview with many IT corporations that aremagical world of Disney and the high-impact technology expe- looking for you!rience. PARENTSHIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS Parents, come, join the fun and learning. This IT experienceTeams of High School students will once again converge at the will give you the opportunity to share with your children.BDPA national conference to showcase their skills, teamwork, COMMUNITY-BASED ORGANIZATIONSand creativity as they compete in an intensive 3-day competi- There is much to learn here. Technology is HERE! Dont lettion. Others will be amazed at the talent and intellect of these your organization fall behind because you were reluctant, or didstudents as they bond, compete, grow, learn and enjoy a not have the skills necessary to integrate your organization withhealthy competitive environment laced with the most challeng- technology. Many of our seminar tracks will help you bettering technology available. organize your CBO. Or maybe you just want to know moreCOLLEGE STUDENTS about technology and how it can work for your organization.A special track has been designed specifically for college stu- Many of our IT professionals have backgrounds working withdents. This track offers information, seminars, workshops and non-profit organizations. Learn how to build your organizationthe opportunity to build career-enhancing relationships with using technology, strategy, and team building.high level senior managers, IT career professionals, and cor- ENTREPRENEURSporations looking for their talent. Students will have access to Entrepreneurs, you cannot miss this opportunity to networkleading-edge seminars and workshops while sharing network- with the crème-de-la-crème in business. Attending and pre-ing events with IT professionals, entrepreneurs, and many senting at some of our workshops are some of the mostother individuals that can provide direction to their careers. aggressive, successful entrepreneurs who cant wait to shareCORPORATE SPONSORS their experiences and wisdom with you. The Entrepreneur Volume 1 Number 7Corporate sponsors have the opportunity to meet, greet, inter- Showcase has been designed to offer you valuable workshops.view and network with some heavy-hitters in the IT field. More importantly, these successful individuals will be on-siteCorporations also have the opportunity to showcase their prod- and available for you to speak with. On this schedule there areucts and services to more than 2,000 members and an addi- some heavy-hitters in entrepreneurship. This is a must if youtional 2,000-3,000 attendees. This is an excellent opportunity are in business or expect to be in business for yourself.to recruit qualified IT talent. JOB SEEKERSIT SENIOR MANAGERS Two exciting days of information, education, and demonstra-BDPA has affiliated with the ITSMF to help achieve their objec- tions by some of the top companies in the IT industry. Bringtive. Senior information technology executives assist African plenty of resumes. Representatives from major corporationsAmerican women and men in preparing for senior level posi- will be on hand to interview you on the spot.tions. By promoting the development of mid-level managersaspiring to senior and executive level responsibilities, ITSMF NOW is the time! Place this event on your calendar andpasses on its knowledge and skills to help aspirants advance plan to attend!! July 2002beyond middle management. The BDPA 24th Annual National ConferenceIT PROFESSIONALS Disneys Contemporary ResortIT Professionals have the opportunity to become engaged in Lake Buena Vista, FL. August 7-11, 2002 3
4. BDPA 2002 24TH ANNUAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE BDPA 2002 PUBLIC AGENDA August 7 - August 11, 2002 CONFERENCE NOTE: Times, speakers, and locations subject to change. CENTRAL MONDAY, AUGUST 5, 2002 6:00pm- 9:00pmBDPA National Executive Committee Meeting THURSDAY, AUGUST 8, 2002 TUESDAY, AUGUST, 6, 2002 8:00am -11:30am Chapter Presidents Meeting 7:00am - 7:45am Youth Conference/HSCC Breakfast (Co-sponsored by Disney) 8:00am - 5:00pm 8:00am - 5:00pm Conference Registration Conference Registration HSCC/Youth Registration Youth Conference Registration 2-Day Workshop: Introduction to Java - Day 1 Souvenir and Host Chapter Networking Activities Sales 2-Day Workshop: DB2 Universal Database, The Introduction Workshop for Youth Conference "Disney Presents…" Offsite Seminars DBAs Daily Tasks - Day 1 8:00am - Noon HSCC Oral Competition Host Chapter Ticket Sales: Universal Island of Adventure Discount Passes 8:00am - 10:00am "Changing the Culture of IT: From Access to Ownership" Available All Week from Host Chapter Plenary Session (Sponsored by Blackwell Consulting Services) 11:30am- 1:00 pm Chapter Presidents Lunch 10:00am - 11:30am Entrepreneur Showcase: Transitioning From Employee to 1:00pm - 5:00 pm National Board of Directors Meeting I Business Owner 9:00pm - Until Networking Activity 10:00am - 12:00pm 10:30pm- Until BDPA Hospitality Suite Microsoft Workshop: Technical Certifications and Careers in Technology Microsoft Workshop: Software Testing: Start to Finish WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 7, 2002 10:00am - 12:15pm Workshop: Using UNIX and LINUX Systems for E-Business 8:00am - 9:30 am Youth Conference/HSCC Opening Breakfast Workshop: Intro to DB2 & Java (Co-sponsored by Disney) Workshop: Oracle 8:00am - 5:00 pm Workshop: Serving Up the Info. Active Server Pages Development Conference Registration Workshop: Designing Effective Corporate Intranets HSCC/Youth Registration Workshop: ZIP Drive Your Career with the Right Mentor Souvenir and Host Chapter Networking Activities Sales 11:30am - 1:00pm Entrepreneur Showcase Luncheon 2-Day Workshop: Introduction to Java - Day 2 (Invitation Only - Sponsored by Black Enterprise Magazine) 2-Day Workshop: DB2 Universal Database, The Introduction Workshop for 12:00pm - 1:30pm HSCC Lunch DBAs Daily Tasks - Day 2 1:15pm - 2:15pm College Expo Workshop: Interviewing Skills Computer Lab (Sponsored by Tech Data Corporation) Workshop: SQL: The Basics 8:0 am - 11:30am National Board of Directors Meeting II 1:15pm - 3:15pm Entrepreneur Showcase: CEO Roundtable 9:45am - 10:45am 1:15pm - 3:30pm Workshop: Cold Fusion: Extension Frameworks with Owning HSCC /YC Seminar: Public Speaking the Code HSCC /YC Seminar: Intro to Robotics 1:15pm - 5:00pm Workshop: Create JAVA Server Pages Web Sites in Two Days HSCC /YC Seminar: Access to Ownership 1:15pm - 3:30pm ITSMF Executive Presentation: The Corporate "Game" HSCC ONLY: Bioinformatics and Drug Discovery 1:30pm - 3:00pm Delegates Meeting I HSCC /YC Seminar: Higher Education: The Right Choice 1:30pm - 5:00pm HSCC Teams Practice Sessions HSCC /YC Seminar: Youth Entrepreneurship 101 2:30pm - 3:30pm HSCC /YC Seminar: Time Management Skills for the Beginner Workshop: Business Writing 11:00am - 12:00pm Workshop: Business Survival in a Global Economy HSCC /YC Seminar: Intro to Robotics 2:30pm - 5:00pm Workshop: SQL Procedures HSCC ONLY: Bioinformatics and Drug Discovery 3:30pm - 5:00pm Entrepreneur Showcase: Access to Venture Capital HSCC /YC Seminar: Youth Entrepreneurship 101 3:45pm - 5:00pm HSCC /YC Seminar: Time Management Skills for the Beginner Workshop: IT Project Management HSCC /YC Seminar: Young, Gifted and Creative Workshop: Developing Wireless Applications HSCC /YC Seminar: How to Compare and Select an IT Program Workshop: Operating and Networking Systems HSCC /YC Seminar: Earn While You Learn: Selecting the Right IT Degree Workshop: Wealth Building Strategies Program 5:30pm - 7:00pm HSCC and Youth Conference Reception with BETF HSCC ONLY: Intro to DOS…Operating System (Co-sponsored by Microsoft and BETF) 11:30am - 1:00pm NBOD Lunch 6:00pm - 7:30pm Hospitality Reception (Corporate Sponsored) 12:00pm - 1:15pm HSCC/Youth Conference Lunch (Sponsored by Kraft) 8:00pm - Until Networking Activities 1:00pm - 2:00pm General Membership Meeting 10:00pm - Until BDPA Hospitality Suite (Chicago Chapter) 1:30pm - 3:00pm Youth Conference ONLY Seminar: Designing Web Pages in 24 hours HSCC ONLY: Building a Network at Home Famed Author HSCC /YC Seminar: Learn Peer Mediation Skills to Resolve Conflict TERRIE WILLIAMS HSCC /YC Seminar: Dress for Success/Interviewing Skills HSCC ONLY: Computer Troubleshooting and Upgrading Hands on Lab 101 to be Town Hall Speaker at BDPA National Conference HSCC/YC Seminar: Networking Security Saturday, August 10, 2002 HSCC /YC Seminar: Making the Connection 2:00pm - 4:00pm Chapter Building Workshop: Corporate Marketing Terrie Williams (www.TerrieWilliams.com), author of "The 3:00pm - 4:00pm HSCC Judges Meeting Personal Touch: What You Really Need to Succeed in Todays 3:15pm - 4:45pm HSCC /YC Seminar: Learn Peer Mediation Skills to Resolve Conflict Fast Paced Business World", the best-selling book on developing HSCC /YC Seminar: Dress for Success/Interviewing Skills business practices, will be this years featured speaker during the HSCC ONLY: Computer Troubleshooting and Upgrading Hands on Lab 101 HSCC/YC Seminar: Networking Security BDPA 2002 24th Annual National Conference Town Hall HSCC/YC Seminar: Using PowerPoint for School Presentations Meeting. Ms. Williams will address the theme “Changing the HSCC /YC Seminar: ABCs of Business HSCC /YC Seminar: How to Compare and Select an IT Program Culture of IT: from Access to Ownership.” The event will take 4:00pm - 5:00pm HSCC Pre-competition Coordinators Meeting place at Disneys Contemporary Resort DTI, the Information 7:00pm - 8:30pm Opening Ceremonies (Sponsored by Hewitt Associates) Technology Senior Management Forum (ITSMF) and Walt 8:30pm - 10:00pm Opening Reception (Sponsored by Hewitt Associates) 10:00pm - Until BDPA Hospitality Suite Disney World are underwriting Ms. Williams participation at the conference.4 The BDPA Monthly Newsletter
5. PUBLIC AGENDA cont.- THE U.S. ECONOMY AND ITS IT NOTE: Times, speakers, and locations subject to change. JOB MARKET IMPACTFRIDAY, AUGUST 9, 20027:00 am - 7:45am Youth Conference/HSCC Breakfast (Co-sponsored by Disney) Reginald J. Gardner,8:00 am - 5:00 pm Conference Registration National BDPA Vice President, Member Services8:00am - 5:00pm Youth Conference Registration The much anticipated economic recovery has not taken Souvenir and Host Chapter Networking Activities Sales place - yet. As an IT Professional for a major U. S. retailer, I8:00 am - 10:00 am "From Classroom-to-Boardroom: Distance Learning and pay very close attention to these kind of things.CTCs" Plenary Session (LearningIDEAS)8:00 am - 11:30 am Youth Conference "Magical Connections" As I write this article, the climate of current events pro-8:00am - 6:00pm HSCC Programming Competition (CLOSED to Public) vides a mixed review of how and when this economic upturn will10:00 am - Noon Delegates Meeting II occur:10:00 am - 6:00 pm Career Fair & Technology Expo10:00 am - 5:00 pm IT Professional Seminars & Workshops ! President George W. Bush is looking to create a new10:00am - 11:00am Federal Government Department of Homeland Security, Workshop: Negotiations for Success which will employee over 160,000 people (Im sure there will Workshop: Live Your Life on Purpose, Instead of by Chance Workshop: African-American Distributed Multiple Learning Styles System be numerous IT positions in this department); Workshop: Technical Certifications and Careers in Technology ! The United States Congress is debating over passing a Workshop: If everyone Knows How to Negotiate, Then Why Do All Of Us $35 Billion Anti-terror Bill (which will also go, in part, to fund Struggle When We Are Required to Do It?10:00am - 12:15pm numerous IT Security positions); Workshop: DSL Your Career - 5 Key Steps to Relationship Building ! The United States Stock Market is at a "paltry" 9675, led Chapter Building Workshop: Leadership Skills Chapter Building Workshop: Foundation Marketing by a number of Technology companies;11:15am - 12:15pm ! Global unrest, wars and threats of wars, in Afghanistan, Workshop: How to Use Visual Basic, .NET to Access DB2 India, Israel, Pakistan, etc. continue; Workshop: Server Based Computing Within Enterprise Workshop: Software Testing: Start to Finish ! Colleges and Universities across the country, unleashing11:30am - 1:30pm BDPA Education & Technology Foundation (BETF) Board the 2002 graduating class - some graduates with IT diplomas Meeting and Luncheon (Co-sponsored by Microsoft and BETF)11:45am - 1:00 pm Youth Conference Lunch in hand;Noon - 1:00 pm HSCC Boxed Working Lunch ! Increased scrutiny of Accounting, Auditing, and Consulting1:15 pm - 2:15 pm Practices in Corporate America. Workshop: Underrepresented Minorities in Information Technology Workshop: IT & the Drug Discovery Process Without a doubt, these events all have an impact on the IT1:15 pm - 3:30 pm industry and job market. Workshop: Using JAVA to Access DB2 UDB According to United States Labor reports, there are ITSMF Executive Presentation: "X"trapreneur Workshop Workshop: An Introduction to Voicemail XML: Adding Voice to Data over 1 million open IT jobs throughout the country. Obviously, I Workshop: Small Business - Technical Growing Pains have no way of confirming or disputing this statistic. But I did do1:15 pm - 5:00 pm Workshop: Create JAVA Server Pages Web Sites in Two Days some research into Online job search web sites (i.e.1:30 pm - 2:30 pm BETF General Session Meeting Computerjobs.com, Dice.com, Careerbuilder.net, to name a2:15 pm - 3:45 pm Youth Conference Quiz Bowl2:30pm - 3:30pm Workshop: Working Towards Digital Inclusion few). Id like to share with you some interesting statistics from3:45pm - 5:00pm my research of Dice.com. Whether these statistics are a true Workshop: IT Communications - TCP/IP indicator of the industry is still to be determined. Workshop: Online Investing in Real Estate Workshop: Small Business E-Commerce and Online Marketing First, there are over 31,000 jobs listed. It appears that Chapter Building Workshop: Building & Maintaining a Chapter the site is "refreshed" monthly or bi-monthly. Workshop: The Digital Divide - Integrating University Initiative Techniques Second, I ran a few "queries" and discovered the fol- Workshop: Network Security Strategies Post 9/11 lowing percentages for various IT positions and skills:4:00pm - 5:00pm Youth Conference Closing and Awards Presentations6:00 pm - 7:30 pm Hospitality Reception (Corporate Sponsored)7:30 pm - 9:00 pm Dignitaries Program & Reception (Invitation Only) (percent of all jobs listed)8:00 pm - Until Networking Activity IT Manager 30% Project Manager 15%10:00 pm - Until BDPA Hospitality Suite C++ Developer 13 IT Security Professional 8SATURDAY, AUGUST 10, 2002 Oracle Developer 8 JAVA Developer 76:45 am - 1:30 pm 1st Annual BDPA IT Golf Classic DBAs 4 IT Director (and VPs) 31:30pm - 3:00pm Golf Classic Awards Luncheon HTML Developers 3 Wireless LAN Technician 2 Volume 1 Number 78:00 am - 3:30pm Mainframe Developer 2 QA Specialist 2 Conference Registration Visual Basic Developer 2 CRM Professional 1 Souvenir and Host Chapter Networking Activities Sales8:00 am -10:00 am "Digital Divide Solutions: From University to Community to IT Professionals" Plenary Session (DePaul University) Third, there is just as much need for IT Security9:00 am -1:00 pm Networking Activity: Shopping Trip/Lunch Professionals as there is for Oracle and JAVA developers.10:00 am - 11:00 am Town Hall Meeting featuring Terrie Williams Fourth, there are almost as many Manager/Director positions (Sponsored by Disney)10:00 am - 4:00 pm Career Fair & Technology Expo (48%) as there are non-manager positions.2:30pm - 5:00 pm HSCC Coordinators Post-Competition Meeting In any event, if you are a recent IT Graduate, a dis-6:00 pm - 7:00 pm placed IT Professional, or an IT Professional looking for a new Awards Banquet Reception role, there is probably something out there for you. Your prepa- Executive Reception (Invitation Only)7:00 pm - 10:00 pm Awards Banquet (Sponsored by Disney) ration will play a key role in your success. Furthermore, your10:00 pm - 1:00 am registering and participating in the 24th Annual National BDPA Adult Dance Conference will help with your preparation. During the HSCC and Youth Conference Dance Conference, you will have the opportunity to attend IT Certified July 200211:30 pm - Until BDPA Hospitality Suite (Philadelphia Chapter)SUNDAY, AUGUST 11, 2002 Seminars and Workshops, professionally taught IT classes, a9:00 am - Noon two day IT Career Fair, and after hour network events with other Prayer Breakfast and 2003 Conference Presentation IT Professionals. Souvenir Sales I hope to see you in Orlando, August 7th - 11th. 5
6. We Welcome You! BDPA Best Wishes on your 24th Annual National Conference. The Walt Disney Company and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies are equal opportunity employers. We encourage diversity in all aspects of our business. ©Disney (BDPA602)6 The BDPA Monthly Newsletter
7. BDPA IT Golf Classic at SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES Disneys Osprey Ridge Golf® Course Contact BDPA Corporate Relations at (800) 727-BDPA August 10, 2002 For more information. Visit our web-site www.BDPA.org REGISTRATION FEES: $200.00 per Individual / $800.00 per Foursome CONFERENCE and CAREER FAIRIncludes:! Green fees & golf cart for 18 holes of golf (Scramble format) Sponsorship Packages! Round trip transportation from Disneys Contemporary® AdvertisingResort to Disneys Osprey Ridge Golf® Course. Career Fair Guide BW! Arrive at course 7:00am, Shotgun start at 8:00am! Complimentary use of the driving range! Breakfast CONFERENCE PROMOTION! Souvenir gift package Post Card Sponsorship Newsletter Sponsorship! On course snacks and beverages E-mail Banner Web Banner! Golf Award Luncheon following tournament Conference Tote Bags Conference Registration! Contest/Prizes/Awards Golf Outing Workshop Proceedings Book SPONSORSHIP LEVELS:Driving Range Sponsorship $500 RECEPTIONS & MEAL FUNCTIONS! Signage at the driving range Chapter Presidents Breakfast Board of Directors Luncheon! Registration table signage Dignitaries Reception! Recognition in selected conference publications** Executive ReceptionBogie Sponsorship $500 Hospitality Receptions! Signage at a hole Opening Reception! Golf Award Luncheon table signage Youth/HSCC Conference Breakfast! Recognition in selected conference publications** Youth/HSCC Lunch Youth/HSCC DinnerBeverage Cart Sponsorship $1,000 Plenary Session (3) Prayer Breakfast! Signage on beverage cart Awards Banquet (10 per table)! Registration table signage Prayer Breakfast (10 per table)! 1 Golfer* Awards Banquet Package*! Recognition in selected conference publications** * Ten (10) invitations to Awards Banquet ExecutiveSouvenir Items Sponsorship $1,000 Reception, one (1) banquet table, prime location for banquet! Registration table signage table, 1 full-page ad in the banquet program book! Company logo on item (deadlines apply)! Recognition in selected conference publications** IN-KINDPhoto Gallery Sponsorship $1,200 Youth Conference Computers and printers! Photo gallery signage at the awards luncheon HSCC Computers and printers! Registration table signage Workshop/Internet Computers and printers! Recognition in selected conference publications** Cyber CafeBirdie Sponsorship $1,500 HSCC and Youth Conference Program Support! Signage on golf carts! Golf Award Luncheon table signage REGISTRATION:! 2 Golfers* One day! 2 invitations to the Dignitaries Reception Cost Pass! Recognition in selected conference publications** Member $550 $200 Non-Member $700 $275Hole in 1-Sponsorship $2,500 Student $200 $100! Signage at 3 holes Contact us for Ala Carte Pricing on the Awards Banquet,! Golf Award Luncheon table signage Plenary Sessions and Prayer Breakfast.! 1 Golfer* Volume 1 Number 7! Display car on golf course with company message! If (hole-in-1) is obtained (Presentation opportunity at BDPA 2002 the Golf Award Luncheon) 24th ANNUAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE! Recognition in selected conference publications** "Changing the Culture of IT: From Access to Ownership"Eagle Sponsorship $3,000 August 7-11, 2002! 18th Hole signage! Golf Award Luncheon table signage Disney’s Contemporary Resort! 4 Golfers* Lake Buena Vista, FL! 4 tickets to the BDPA Awards Banquet! 4 invitations to the Dignitaries Reception! Banner at Golf Award Luncheon PHONE: (800) 727-BDPA! Recognition in selected conference publications** F A X: (301) 220-2185Golf Award Luncheon Sponsorship $4,000 WEBSITE: WWW.BDPA.ORG July 2002! Signage on podium at Golf Award Luncheon ADDRESS:! 1 Golfer* 6401 Golden Triangle Drive, Suite 450! Speaking opportunity at the Golf Award Luncheon Greenbelt, MD 20770! Recognition in selected conference publications****DEADLINES APPLY 7
8. UPCOMING EVENTS JULY 2002 ISSUE JULY / AUGUST 2002 Information Technology Thought Leaders July 8-12 The BDPA Monthly Newsletter *Cisco Networkers (Orlando) http://www.cisco.com/networkers/ The newsletter designed to keep our members informed July 11-13 of news, events and perspectives important to our *Comdex Canada (Toronto) community. POC: email@example.com We welcome your comments: editor@BDPA.org Jul 31-Aug 4 27th Annual NABJ Convention, Read our Online Journal for breaking news, information Milwaukee WI. Info: www.nabj.org and updates: www.BDPAjournal.orgAugust 6-7 3Q-2002 NBOD Meeting (Orlando) "Chapter Building and Annual Report"August 7-11 24th Annual Natl BDPA Conference BDPA 2002 Disneys Contemporary Resort 24th ANNUAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE Orlando FL “Changing the Culture of IT: From Access to Ownership”August 8-9 August 7-11, 2002 Delegates Meeting Disneys Contemporary Resort Disney’s Contemporary Resort Orlando FL Lake Buena Vista, FLBDPA Information Technology Thought Leaders PRSRT STDNational Headquarters U.S. POSTAGE PAID6401 Golden Triangle Drive, Suite 450 Woodbridge, VAGreenbelt, MD 20770 PERMIT NO. 70