1. Comparing Towns:Ms. Agard’s home town is Amherst, Massachusetts.
2. It’s in New England, about two hours west of Boston. 
3. 1. There is much less traffic inAmherst than there is in Oakland. 
4. 2. There are fewer people in Amherst than there are in Oakland: Population of Oakland: 390,724Population of Amherst: 37,819
5. 3. Amherst doesn’t have as many parks as Oakland. This is the only one:  Old New England towns like Amherst all have a “town common.” Hundreds of years ago, everybody in town kept their cows and chickens on the common. Now The common is like a public park.
6. However, there is a lot of beautifulcountry to visit all around the town. 
7. 4. There is less public transportation in Amherst than in Oakland. In fact, during school vacations the busesstop running completely, and there is no public transportation at all!
8. 5. Even though Amherstis so much smaller than Oakland, Amherst has more museums.
9. This is the museum of the Amherst Historical Society. 
10. This is a science museum at Amherst College. It has dinosaur bones. 
11. Emily Dickinson, a famous poet, lived inAmherst. Now, her home is a museum. 
12. The National Yiddish Book Center is a library andmuseum that preserves the literature and culture of Jewish immigrants from Europe. 
13. The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art is a lot offun for children. They can look at the original art from their favorite children’s books. 
14. However, the Oakland Museum of California is morefamous than any of the museums in Amherst (and it’s just across the street from Laney College)! 
15. 6. Amherst has bigger and more famous colleges than Oakland. There are two of them, theUniversity of Massachusetts and Amherst College.
16. The University of Massachusetts is a big university with about 30,000 students.  (Ms. Agard graduated from this university, and her father worked there as a librarian.)
17. The tall buildings that you see in this picture are all university buildings. 
18. Amherst College is an old, expensive private school with about 2,000 students. 
19. 7. Amherst has fewer houses than Oakland. 8. Amherst has fewer buildings than Oakland. 9. Amherst has fewer stores and less shopping.
20.  Amherst also has fewer jobs forESL teachers than there are in the Bay Area, so that’s why Ms. Agard lives here!