Haley DuganOrcutt Academy High SchoolFrosh CoreMarch 1, 2013
• Creating art expands a childs ability to interact with the worldaround them, and provides a new set of skills for self-expressionand communication. Not only does art help to develop the rightside of the brain, it also promotes important skills that benefit achilds development. But art goes far beyond the factualstatistics measured by studies, it can become an essential modeof free self-expression and amazement for children. Art mattersthe same way language matters, it is a crucial component ofwhat makes us uniquely human.
• Art is important in children’s lives because it improves emotionalskills and problem solving skills.
• When children are involved in art at an early age, they are able tobetter develop their emotional skills.
• Through creative art, children may be able to representexperiences that they can’t tell others. They might draw picturesthat are crazy and outrageous, exaggerating ideas or events thatare important to them (Creative Art Helps Children Develop acrossMany Domains).
• “It may provide the child and others with insights into thechild’s thoughts and feelings, thus allowing for conversation andfurther discussion.” (Bullard)
46%47%0%7%Art helps children explore different emotions and lets them express themselves ina safe ,effective wayStrongly agree agree disagree strongly disagreeData obtained from self-generated survey. Take survey here!
• Through art, children will learn different ways to solve problems.
• Art lets children experience situations and teaches them that aproblem can have more than one solution. Instead of going byspecific rules or directions, as they may be encouraged to do inschool and in their homes, art engages kids brains and makesthem ask questions like how and why (Zaniboni).
• Creative Arts Teacher, Jo Murphy, explains Dewey Eisner’sthoughts on art’s influence saying, “He describes a processwhereby students identify a problem, select qualities andorganize them so that they function expressively through amedium.”
• Data obtained from self-generated survey. Take survey now!051015Strongly Agree Agree Disagree Strongly DisagreeThe inclusion of art in childrens lives is imperative.
• Art not only provides entertainment for children, it also providesan outlet for them which improves their emotional skills andteaches them proper problem solving skills.
• Diana said, "My kids express things through their art that theydont even have words for yet."• Lindsay said, "Art helps my kids feel willing to try new ideas, toexperiment, to solve problems."
• Bullard, J. "How the Art Center Enhances Childrens Development." n.d. Education.com.4 February 2013.• "Creative Art Helps Children Develop across Many Domains." 15 July 2011. Extension.org.31 January 2013. <http://www.examiner.com/article/the-importance-of-art-children-s-cognitive-social-and-emotional-development>.• Murphy, Jo. "Creative Arts Develop Problem Solving Skills." 7 March 2009. Suite101.com.7 February 2013.• Smith, Fran. "Why Arts Education is Crucial, Whos Doing it Best." 28 January 2009.Edutopia. 31 January 2013. <http://www.edutopia.org/arts-music-curriculum-child-development>.• Zaniboni, Lauren. "The Importance of Art in Childrens Cognitive, Social, and EmotionalDevelopment." 16 October 2012. Examiner.com. 31 January 2013.<http://www.examiner.com/article/the-importance-of-art-children-s-cognitive-social-and-emotional-development>.
• Haley Dugan• Orcutt Academy High School• Frosh Core• March 1, 2013