Six I AM’sBREAD GOODof LIFE SHEPHERD RESUR- LIGHT RECTIONof WORLD and LIFEDOOR WAY, TRUTH,of FOLD and LIFE
My identity is RECIPROCAL TO His identity. My life is in CONNECTION to Him.
1. The PURPOSE of the connection to the vine is fruit- bearing. (vv.1-2) a. There must be a connection to the true vine. b. The branch is evaluated by fruit and corrections are made to the branches.
2. The PROTECTION of the connection to the vine is for fruit-bearing. (vv.2-3, 6) a. The branch must be free from distractions. b. The Word is the implement of pruning and cleansing. c. The pruning is best done in community.
2. The PROTECTION of the connection to the vine is for fruit-bearing. (vv.2-3, 6) d. Removing the branches is painful and permanent.
3. The POWER for fruit-bearing is the connection to the vine. (vv.4-5) a. The connection is a settled, confident, involved residence. b. There is no possibility of fruit or life while separated from the vine.
4. The PRAYERS in connection to the vine are for fruit-bearing. (v.7) a. The communication is word formed. b. The communication is will driven.
5. The PROOF of the connection to the vine is fruit-bearing. (v.8) a. Fruit-bearing is the highest delight of the gardener. b. The honor goes to him. c. The fruit harvest displays the quality and skill of the workmanship and the health of the vine.
Conclusions• We want more fruit!• Greater fruit means stronger connections to the vine.• We must pray for produce and welcome pruning.• This fruitfulness is for His glory.• So ask for more fruit!
• I am asking God for: – Clear, honest evaluation of my life – Remove sin that steals vitality – Clip out distractions or idols – A community of friends that love me, challenge me, influence me + – Life that finds delight only in Him – MORE FRUIT!
“Look not upon a life of holiness as a strain and an effort, but asthe natural outgrowth of the life of Christ within you.” Andrew Murray