Leadership Brevard Class of 2020 Leadership Action Project Presentation: Keep Brevard Beautiful/Litter Quitter “Downtown Melbourne: From History to Sustainability”
Keep Brevard Beautiful:
Angela Kirshon, Alexis McGuire, Brandon Smith, Jason Berry,
Kristen Just, Shane Lappico, George Panton, TC Bowers
Litter: Impact on Brevard County
● ABOVE AVERAGE: Americans discard 4.3 pounds of trash daily.
Floridians average 8.3 pounds.
● PLASTIC: The top 10 items found during the
International Coastal Cleanup have all been plastic (Since 2017)
● COST: Litter clean up in the US costs $11.5 Billion a year
● THE LAST STRAW: About 182 billion straws are used per year
in the US
● RECYCLING: The US only recycles 4% of styrofoam containers.
● INDIRECT IMPACT:
○ Indirect costs include the degree to which litter reduces the value of real estate, deters a customer from entering a
business, or a new employer from locating to a community.
○ The environmental outcomes of litter can have economic impacts. This includes lost tourism revenues, expenses
for repairing vehicles, boats and ships, restoration of ecosystems, wildlife injury, and eventually the cost to human
Leadership Action Project
Project / Action Plan / Goal
“Downtown Melbourne: From History to Sustainability”
● The Leadership Action Project will serve as advocates for Keep Brevard Beautiful’s current “Litter Quitter”
● Litter Quitter is a FREE membership program for restaurants and businesses within Brevard County to
encourage the reduction and elimination of single-use plastics and Styrofoam within the business industry.
● The team will work to introduce the Litter Quitter program to the Historic Downtown Melbourne restaurants,
in cooperation with Melbourne Main Street.
● The team will be responsible for identifying restaurants in Historic Downtown Melbourne, giving educational
material on the Litter Quitter program, inviting the business owners to attend a workshop, and then following-
up with those businesses to encourage them to become part of the Litter Quitter family.
Level Up!Bronze Level: Skip the Straw *Must Meet at Least One*
● Ask first straw policy.
● Switch to a sustainable straw option such as paper, metal, reusable, pasta, agave, etc.
● Encourage customers to bring their own reusable straw
Silver Level: Get Rid of Plastic! *Must Meet at Least One Plus One Bronze*
● Switch plastic bags to paper bags
● Encourage customers to bring their own reusable bags
● Switch plastic utensils to a sustainable option such as bamboo, corn-based, reusable, etc.
Gold Level: No Styrofoam! *Must Meet at Least One Plus One Bronze and One Silver*
● KB Switch Styrofoam cups to a sustainable option such as corn-based, paper, reusable, etc.
● Switch to-go containers to a sustainable option such as corn-based, recycled plastic, paper, etc.
● Encourage customers to bring their own to-go containers
● Deck netting for waterside businesses
Litter Quitter Member Benefits
● STICKER: A Litter Quitter window sticker notifying potential customers of your
● Promotional listings on the websites of program partners and social media
● Mentions of your company in press releases to local media outlets and promotion of
your company at public outreach events
● Group pricing discounts on sustainable product lines from major supply distributors
● Networking and education opportunities via local sustainability summits
● An annually organized “day of support” driving new customers to your business
● Litter Quitter members can include their River Lagoon Green Business pledge
○ Get 8 or more restaurants to join the
Litter Quitter program.
○ Spruce up the marketing collateral
○ Foster an environment within the
LAP team to help us grow as leaders.
● Handouts: Creation of brochure flyers to present to
restaurants owners and managers.
● Shirts: Designed shirts to create unified and
professional look when presenting to restaurants.
● Receptive: Of the restaurants approached, all were
receptive of the program and many of them were
already doing one of the qualifying actions items in
order to qualify.
● COVID: Then COVID-19 hit.
○ Proper follow up was not possible due to the
restaurants being closed shortly after the
presentations and a decision was made to respect
their distance as they recovered.
Our Newest Litter Quitters
● We would like to give recognition to Brevard’s newest litter quitters!
● We were able to enroll 2.5 new businesses
● Maybe you've heard of them?
● Mustards Last Stand, and Mego’Malley’s also included.
Impacts of COVID-19
● Restaurant closures
● Owners priorities shifted to protecting their
employees and keeping their business running
● Future is uncertain
Created 2nd brochure to accommodate
membership for General Business Owners.
● Revisions to flyer were made featuring
General Business Program details, thus
expanding the focus beyond just restaurant
Recommendations for the Future
● The Surfrider Foundation Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) members are growing in beachside
areas. We recommend a KBB partnership with Surfrider Foundation to automatically include
those Brevard businesses in the Litter Quitter Program who are members of OFR and in good
● Vendor expo organized to feature available products for the program.