1. Using Content to Win at Ecommerce
Presented by Monique Pouget | August 16, 2012
2. First Off, Who Am I?
Name: Monique Pouget Twitter: @MoniqueTheGeek
Title: Director of Content LinkedIn: linkd.in/mpouget
Marketing Read My Posts: Blog
Company: Thunder SEO
3. How do I…
4. Challenge: Links to ecommerce product detail pages (PDP) are
difficult to get, but they’re super valuable.
5. Solution: Use creative content marketing to increase
conversions, links and shares of PDPs.
6. But before you do that…
• Have you:
• Implemented SEO basics (KW rich URLs, title tags,
H1s, image alt attributes, sitemaps, etc.)?
• Invested in unique product descriptions and images?
• Added microdata/microformats for rich snippets
(video, star ratings/reviews, products, offers,
• Integrated UGC video and review content?
• Internally linked from valuable pages?
• Made your PDPs shareable?
7. Challenge: Your site already has UGC reviews, but you want to
engage more with your audience.
10. Product Reviews - Video
Customer video review is
also the “most helpful
favorable review,” as voted
by other customers!
11. Videos = Important
• Help shoppers make buying decisions, leading to
• Convey your added value such as your expertise, high
level of service, etc.
• Videos are ideal content to promote in
most social media venues.
• Make website pages more unique with
custom content and transcripts.
12. Ecommerce Product Videos
Showcase your products
with professional videos.
• Social sharing options
• “Influence” stats
• Customer reviews below video
14. Guides are Goooood Too
REI pairs expert athletic advice
with related categories. These
pages draw qualified traffic
from over 1,800 individual
keyphrases each week.
15. Challenge: Your product has little brand recognition in the
community, and people aren’t writing organic reviews.
16. Solution: Find popular bloggers in your community, and give
away free products in exchange for a review.
17. Product Reviews - External
Link to PDP, FTW!
24. Infographics with a CTA
Pair an infographic with a special offer.
25. Infographics with a CTA
Pair an infographic with a
26. One more thing…
• You can’t do this for every product you sell. Prioritize by rankings
• Select the products that rank between the 10th and 15th positions
that need a “push”, and start with those.
• Remember: It’s a long term play! Zappos 50K http://bit.ly/OBQX5h