Calyx presentation anztla july 5, 2013 -of making books there is no end- (1) (1)
Open Source LMS
"Of making many books there is no end ... Ecclesiastes 12:12"
28th ANZTLA Conference July 2013
Australian and New Zealand Theological Libraries
Immanuel College ~ Adelaide SA
Supporting since 2003
We are here to help
Suffering from information
... About Koha ...
was created to provide a free and openly
developed ILS/LMS … and to always provide an
upgrade path ......
The Koha developers have an ideological
commitment to this software development
Jump onto the website and take a look!
The biggest assets of the
can assist you too ....
● Koha is the # 1 Open Source library mgt. system
● Free software, no licence fees, no vendor lock in
● Ongoing rich development
● The large global and increasing local community
● Libraries working together to grow Koha
● Koha-oz and Koha NZ user group meet-ups
● Local commercial services and support
● Transparency ~ Innovation ~ QA ~ Standards
● Openness ~ Trust and a peer relationship
Who uses Koha?
National, Academic, Public, School and Special
libraries around the world
Some libraries have been listed or have self listed here ....
and search for Koha
In Australia and New Zealand and globally
Theological Libraries have already
Anywhere ~ Anytime ~ 100% web based
Supports you in your goals
Links you with your communities
Is student and staff friendly and easy to use
Has a flexible set up to suit your needs now and when they change
Links with aggregators and most library suppliers services
Catalogues and tracks your resources
Describes all material types including e-books and web resources,
multi-media, class sets, realia and more
Is a superb administration tool
Great reporting allows for more control over your collections
Manages your acquisitions, your serials, your patron communications
Describes shelf location or cloud access: from your college or elsewhere
Self service capable
Koha is packed with features
Click on link below ...
Current Koha version Features List maintained by CALYX
What can do
OPAC demo Koha version 3.6.
Try it here ....
Koha v. 3.6. demo
Koha v.3.10. OPAC demo
Try Koha sample sites here ...
Koha Staff interface more demo sites Koha v.3.12.
Koha is fully featured and continues
to develop rapidly: Koha v3.12.
Recent major enhancements:
- Hourly loans (prerequisite for Course Reserves)
- New OPAC theme to support mobile devices;
- HTML5 video/audio embeddable in OPAC;
- Circulation slips now user configurable;
- Initial support for RDA;
- Allow Patron self registration;
- Numerous minor enhancements and fixes.
Coming soon to your Koha:
- Improved support for RDA;
- Course Reserves module;
- Federated search integral to Koha...
..... no need to buy an additional product.....
Koha is future focussed
~~We can do it better as a community~~
Home page design of New Zealand tertiary libraries
This Masters thesis suggests that use of commercial search engines in favour of library websites
is linked to poor library web design. 28 February 2013 | The online presence of tertiary libraries
is becoming increasingly important, however, research (OCLC, 2010) suggests that library
websites are being shunned in favour of commercial search engines. Some scholars (Reidsma,
2012; McCann et al., 2010) attribute this to poor website design. Websites are a valid
communication concern and what content is displayed, as well as how it is displayed on library
home pages has implications for usability, findability and user perception. Tertiary library
websites need to be attractive, modern and user focused in nature. Content needs to be
arranged in a way that supports smooth navigation so that users are encouraged to engage with
An examination of home page design in New Zealand
Jessica Elizabeth Howie | School of Information Management
28 February, 2013
Research for discussion : The impact of well
What CALYX can do
● Advise on the suitability of Koha and other OSS applications
● Define requirements and priorities
● Consult on transition processes and project management
● Help you migrate from your current LMS
● Host and maintain your Koha securely
● Assist you to manage and maintain your Koha in-house
● Provide training in all facets of Koha for all levels of users
● Be your Koha Help Desk when you need support
● Keep your hosted Koha healthy, up to date and shiny
● Help you keep your hosted in-house Koha healthy, up to date
● Link you to the international Koha community
● Help you get the most out of your Koha with optimal configuration: to meet your targets
now and in the future.
● Neither lock your data or your library into long term expensive agreements
● Consult on consortial arrangements with partner libraries or new library branches
● Partner with you to create an engaging online and mobile library environment
We are specialists in data migration, managed hosting and Koha training.
"We assist communities
to provide access to their
collections and manage
these with today's digital
The CALYX Team
Any questions or reflections?
~~a rising tide lifts all the boats~~