Social Studies 10
DVD: REFUGEES OF THE BLUE PLANET
Define the following:
1. Environmental Refugee
2. Political Refugee
3. Global Warming
5. Crimes against Humanity
6. Collective Crimes
7. Sour Gas Wells-wells drilled to collect gas that is contaminated
with H S gas (highly poisonous!) They clean it on site and burn off
the H S to achieve sweet (clean) gas.
8. Hydrogen Sulphate (H S)
9. Environmental Sustainability
10. Sustainable Prosperity (Economic Sustainability)
1. What specific environmental problem destroyed Soraya’s home in the
2. What struggles do Soraya and Ismael face as environmental refugees?
3. According to Andrew Simm, who is to blame for the environmental
problems the world is facing?
What practices are causing these problems?
4. Globally there are _________million environmental refugees and
_______ million political /war refugees.
5._______% of the cellulose produced in Brazil is destined for export to
Europe, Asia and North America.
6.______% of the cellulose pulp is used to make toilet paper
7.Based on what Marcelo Calazans says, what is your opinion of the
relationship between the Aracruz Cellulose Company and the Brazilian
Do you think this situation differs greatly in other parts of the
8.Why does Valmir Noventa feel large companies like Aracruz have
committed crimes against humanity?
9. What does George Marshall mean when he calls environmental issues
such as these “collective crimes?” Do you agree or disagree with his
10. In your opinion, why do many people refuse to take any responsibility
for issues such as climate change?
11.Why is the drilling of sour gas wells considered to be an alarming
proposition for some Alberta land owners?
12.What recourse do Alberta residents have if they do not want sour
gas wells drilled on their land?
13. Why is it possible for the government to continue its aggressive
drilling program regardless of landowners’ wishes?
14. In 2006, what did Premier Klein say regarding job sustainability vs
15.Ultimately, what is the cost of economic sustainability? (Think of Daryl
Graf’s story of being exposed to a sour gas well burn off)
16.Ultimately, who is responsible for changing the environmental situation
that exists in the world today?
17. Do you agree or disagree with the idea that climate change is
18.How are those who are environmental refugees in Brazil, Moldives, and
Alberta: Similar? 1.
19. In your opinion, do you think it is possible to balance economic
sustainability with environmental sustainability? Explain.
20.What needs to be done LOCALLY in order to achieve environmental
sustainability in a province like Alberta?
Some things to think about:
*** Think Globally; Act Locally.
***Only when the last bird has stopped soaring, when the last animal has
rotted on the ground, when the last river has been poisoned, the last breath
of fresh air has been gasped……will human beings realize that you can’t eat
***Maybe when each of us has become a victim of global climate change, will
each of us see the need to take action.
Have you heard any other sayings that fit in with these? Add them.