Early Life and Career
• Carson was born on September
• First worked as sociology
professor at San Diego State
• 1983 he started to experiment
with graphic design,
• In 1992 Carson became art
director for Ray Gun magazine
What Make Carson Famous
• Carson’s unique ability to transform
the norm of conventional magazines
by experimenting with different
varieties of mediums.
• ‘Grunge’ typography.
• Use of the Font Dingbat.
• Carson is all about breaking the rule. He is constantly
changing public views on graphic design and commercial art.
He had what could be described as a very anarchist style in
• David Carson’s philosophy is the way he comes up with his
ideas and creates his work. Before starting a design, he’ll
read the article, analyze the product and listen to the music.
From there he gets a feel for whatever the topic is, and he
tries to crate that visually and emotionally through his art
What Should Influence Designers
• Picture of Carson & his quote.
• ‘I think it’s really important
that designers put themselves
into the work. No one else has
your background, upbringing,
life experiences, and if you can
put a bit of that into your work,
two things will happen: you’ll
enjoy the work more, and
you’ll do your best work.’
- David Carson
Who Carson has influenced:
• He largely influenced the dirty-grunge movement in design
trends of the 90s.
• Carson also influenced many artists, because he shook up
the type world.
• Instead of following all of the typographic rules, Carson
broke them all. Thus, enabling other artists to do new and
inventive things that they wouldn’t have done before.
David Carson – A Designer’s Story