The Power of a Sub-Branch:
Building Collectivism in our workplaces
What is the true role of a
• A strong sub-branch is the most crucial function of a successful union.
• Embodies the democratic and industrial agenda of its members, all
members are equal!
• Has the most impact on the working lives of its members.
• To campaign to ensure the principles of the union are reflected in the
working practices of the workplace.
The Power of a Motion: Why and how
do you raise an Issue?
• Why produce a Motion?
• Developing consensus and democratic accountability
• Give power to the voice of membership.
• Establishing common goals and purpose
• Acting together to deliver those goals
The Power of a Motion: Simplicity
Is the key
• What Is the problem?
• Who can resolve it?
• What resolution do you want?
The 6 democratic pathways
• The Sub Branch executive acting Independently for its members
• The Sub Branch producing a Motion for Branch Executive
• The Sub Branch producing a Motion for Branch Council
• Utilising the Workload Committee Delegate
• The role of the Work Safety Rep
• The Sub Branch producing a Motion for the Principal
Sub Branch Executive
• What constitutes the executive?
• To lead as well as support
• Proactive Membership Engagement: Early identification of issues
• Developing relationships with Sub Branch Members, Branch
Executive and Council
Pathway 2 and 3
Where to direct a motion
• How to use a Motion within the wider AEU ACT Branch
• Engaging with Branch Executive
• Engaging with Branch Council
Work Load Committee
• Establishing a Workload Committee
• Must have an AEU member nominated by the AEU Sub Branch
• Monitors, reviews & addresses workloads issues
• Sub Branch motion direct to the Workload Committee, via AEU
delegate, raising an issue on the Agenda
Work Safety Representative
• Elected (or appointed) by the employees in the workplace
• Powers & duties
• Employee H&S priorities
• Training paid by ETD
• Sub Branch use of, involvement of, HSRs to raise (soft/hard) OHS
• Sub Branch motion re action/s to be taken by HSR re
How to engage with School Leadership
on Industrial Issues
• Progressive Engagement
• Seeking Common Ground
• Use your Motion!
Dispute Resolution Overview.
• Please see handout in your pack.
• Standing together through the process.
• The importance of accurate and timely information to members
throughout the process.