1. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
Developer Tools to
increase your Productivity
as a WordPress Developer
Sudar Muthu (@sudarmuthu)
2. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• Programming in PHP for more than a decade and in
WordPress for about 8 years.
• Big fan of automating process and workﬂows.
• Contributor to a couple of open source projects
• Released about 2 dozen plugins in WordPress.
• Remote worker at 10up (and yes 10up is hiring :) )
3. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
What about you?
• Are you a developer?
• What is your experience with PHP and WordPress?
• What is your typical development environment?
• Do you prefer GUI tools or cli tools?
• What are your expectations out of this talk?
6. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• I have used vim extensively and recently moved to
PhpStorm (still use vim mode)
• Move away from generic text editors and prefer an IDE.
• Look for WordPress integration.
• Look for integration with other dev tools that you use
(phpcs, wp-cli etc)
• Look for xDebug support.
• Pick one that you are comfortable with.
9. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• I use VVV and FlyWheel
• VVV for having a local environment that resembles
production as much as possible using vv.
• I use FlyWheel to quickly create sites with different
PHP versions (especially PHP 5.2)
10. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• Pick something where you can easily create new
• Ability to replicate production environment as
closely as possible will be a plus.
• Don’t ever install PHP directly on Windows.
• Other popular options include Wamp, Xamp etc.
12. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• PHP extension that allows you to step through code
for debugging. Very powerful.
• I use it with VVV and PhpStorm.
• Helped me to debug lot of complex problems.
• Use IDE integrations to save time.
15. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• I use wp-cli extensively for normal day to day
operations. Saves me lot of time.
• wp-cli shell opens an interactive shell. Very handy
to quickly test some logic or read options/transient
• wp-cli ssh can be used to run commands on a
18. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• Static code analyser that captures common code
• Use a custom phpcs standard for your project on
top of WordPress standard.
• Integrate it with your IDE or with git using pre-
• I use it with both PhpStorm and vim.
21. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• Unit testing framework used by WordPress core.
• Deﬁnitely check WordPress core unit tests.
• Set it up using wp-cli (Don’t try to set it manually)
• Refer to my talk about Unit testing for WordPress at
22. Sudar Muthu | @sudarmuthu #WCMumbai
• Use something that you are comfortable with.
• Always try to automate as much as possible.
• Have fun :)