Tips and Tricks For Faster Asp.NET and MVC Applications
Tips and Tricks For Faster ASP.NET and
MVC Web Applications
By Sarvesh Kushwaha
1. Static Resources should be Cacheable ;)
Above code cache all static resources for 365 days.
2. Bundling and Minification
network using Bundling and Minification in ASP.NET 4.5 .
.This Reduce the number of requests to server.
Minification is removing blank space b/w words and lines and
more then that ;) .
LINK : HOW TO DO IT
3.Use View State when its necessary
Every control has ViewState in Asp.Net and ViewState is turned on in
ASP.NET by default.
ViewState is an unnecessary overhead for pages that do not need it. As
the ViewState grows larger, it affects the performance of garbage
collection. ViewState gets store in hidden field too many field can make
a web page heavier and will cause rendering problem.
So Disable ViewState for every control, untill you need it (have to keep
data on post backs of a page).
1. You know you don't need ViewState for a textbox control and similar control untill
you are performing textchange_event. So disable it by using EnableViewState=
“false” for each one.
2. Disable ViewState at page level add in page : <%@ Page EnableViewState="false"
3. Disable ViewState at Application level add in web.config : <pages
4. Use Effecting Paging
• Bring small set of data at once ,show them using paging to render the page quickly.
• Large set of data use stored procedure for page index data and filtering .
LINK: HOW TO DO IT
5. URL Compression
Now with IIS 7 we can do HTTP compression of data being send over the
network . Add following Xml snippets in the web.config file under
<system.webserver> node :
<urlCompression doDynamicCompression="true" doStaticCompression="true"
• doDynamicCompression tells IIS whether it should compress dynamically
generated content, i.e. content generated by your scripts (ASP, ASP.NET, PHP
• doStaticCompression tells IIS whether to compress static files (PDF, JPEG …)
,those actually exist on the file system.
• dynamicCompressionBeforeCache attribute specifies whether IIS will
dynamically compress content that has not been cached.
6. Use Sprite Images
use sprite images instead of using several images so at one download you can
use several small images .
Now we can make sprite images very easily using Some NUGET packages.
Below are some :
7. Image Optimization
• Normally images take largest percentage (size) in a web page. image
optimization help us to increase performance . Using Asp.net Nuget we can
optimize images :
• Allocate space for image using <height/> and <width/> , it will let page
rendering more quickly .
8. Always Deploy in Release Mode
• At the time of deploying our main concern is performance , Debug Mode
creates .pdb file and take some info generated by JIT to code address mapping
• Code is more optimized in Release Mode.
• Less memory is used by the source code at run time in Release Mode.
• Set debug=“false” in web.config for release mode.
9. Use client Side Validation
At max one should use client side validation for application as it gives user a friendly experience
and reduce the over head of post back to the server.Where secuirty is priority use server side
10. Remove Unnecessary HTTP Headers
The X-AspNet-Version, X-AspNetMvc-Version, X-Powered-By, and Server HTTP headers
provide no direct benefit and unnecessarily used a small amount of bandwidth.
• Removing X-AspNet-Version : Under <System.web> add this <httpRuntime
• Removing X-AspNetMvc-Version : Add this in Global.asax.cx file
MvcHandler.DisableMvcResponseHeader = true;
• Remove Server HTTP Header : LINK HOW TO DO IT
• Remove or Edit X-Powered-By : IIS7 Manager > HTTP Response Header > Edit or Remove
11. Pipeline Optimization
• There are many default HttpModule which sit in request pipeline and intercept each and every request.
• Example If you are not using window authentication you don’t need window authentication HttpModule.
Add following code in web.config :
<!-- Remove unnecessary Http Modules for faster pipeline -->
<remove name="Session" />
<remove name="WindowsAuthentication" />
<remove name="PassportAuthentication" />
<remove name="AnonymousIdentification" />
<remove name="UrlAuthorization" />
<remove name="FileAuthorization" />
12. Use Content Delivery Network
• Better if you download things from nearest server from your palace .its like
travelling things from one country to another which takes times. If application
and downloading them across the world will take significant time.
• Content Delivery Network deal with static cacheable Content .
• Bootsrap Used CDN for his latest release ;)
13. Dispose Objects Manually
• Although Objects will be cleaned up when they are no longer being
used and when the garbage collector sees fit. Always dispose an
object which implements IDisposable ,to do so Use a USING
statement to automatically dispose of an object once your program
leaves the scope of the using statement.
using (SqlConnection cn = new SqlConnection(connectionString))
using (SqlCommand cm = new SqlCommand(commandString, cn))
14. Effective use of Jquery AJAX in Asp.ne
• Use ajax to download data asynchronously, which are not needed
immediately like content of Accordion (Collapsed Panel) and tabs.
• Don’t make too much ajax requests
• Use ajax when its needed to load more data when user scrolls,
when user is not scrolling there is no benefit to bring all the data at
15. Do use magic of Asynchronous
If your page needs to access multiple data sources , then use
asynchronous methods to parallelize access to those sources .
LINK : HOW TO DO IT
16. Turn off Tracing unless until its required because its keep track
of the application's trace and the sequences. Under <system.web>
node write following code:
<trace enabled="false" pageOutput="false" />
<trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false"
17. Instead of Respons.Redirect() use Server.Transfer() when we
want to transfer current page request to another .aspx page on the
same server. it helps to reduce server requests. And optionally give
us value of preserve query string and form controls values .
18. String Management :
• Use += operator or String.Concat() when the number of appends is know and short .
• Use StringBuilder object when number of appends is unknown.
19. Asp .NET literal and label are different
• Literal just show that text they don’t add the extra markup.
• Label add the extra markup <label><label/>.
20. Remove Blank Space and lines from HTML
• Using Regular Expressions in VS2012 remove blank lines from .aspx and HTML
• Use CodeMaid tool to remove spaces and more.
21. Use Performance Tools
Correct code makes good performance
• Backend performance Tools : DotNetMemoryProfiler,
• Performance Tools :
• Static analysis tool : Yslow
• Run Time Profiler : Speed tracer for chrome, Firebug for firefox, IE
• Others : WebPageTest , Page-analyzer , Pingdom
• Monitoring Tool : Fiddler
Client Side Validation
Use ViewState if needed
Dispose Objects ManuallyCDN
Remove Unneccesary HTTP Headers
Effective Paging URL Compression
Images Optimization & Sprite Images
Bundling and Minification
Jquery Ajax Async and Await Turn Tracing Off