What does the Business
need from DevOps?
• This talk is based on secondary
research on business aspects of
DevOps adoption drivers, barriers
• I hope it will help build the business
case for decision-makers and bring
practitioners on the same page.
…and articles, blogs, insights…
• Fast deployments at scale: impacts
customer acquisition and retention
• Deliver quality at speed: remove wastage,
reduce rework, automated deploys
• Quick response to changes: experiment,
learn and adapt to changes in “real-time”
• Manage infra costs: optimize infrastructure
usage, reduce risks and uncertainties
Best vs. the Rest
• 2,555x faster deployments
• 200x frequent deployments
• 22% lower time in unplanned work or rework
• 3x lower change failure rates
• 24x faster failure recovery
• 50% lower time remediating security issues
• 50% higher growth in m-cap
• 2.2x likely to refer friend for job
• As biz go digital, IT become critical. IT is biz!
• DevOps is org-wide capability to deliver and
manage core biz services in real-time at scale.
• While beneﬁts are obvious, the org barriers are
signiﬁcant and require exec support.
• Adoption of biz-facing metrics could help
get better stakeholder support.