State of the Map Asia (SotM-Asia) is the annual regional conference of OpenStreetMap (OSM) organized by OSM communities in Asia. First SotM-Asia was organized in Jakarta, Indonesia in 2015, and the second was organized in Manila, Philippines in 2016. This year’s conference, third in the series, was organized in Kathmandu, Nepal on September 23 – 24, 2017 at Park Village Resort, Budhanilkantha, Kathmandu, Nepal.
We brought nearly 200 Open Mapping enthusiasts from Asia and beyond to this year’s SotM-Asia. The event provided an opportunity to share knowledge and experience among mappers; expand their network; and generate ideas to expand map coverage and effective use of OSM data in Asian continent. We chose ‘from creation to use of OSM data’ as the theme of this year’s conference, emphasizing on the effective use of OSM data. We also brought together a government panel from four different countries in this year’s SotM-Asia. We believe this event will deepen the bond and enhance collaboration among OSM communities across Asia.
More information about the conference can be found on: http://stateofthemap.asia.
Hongchao Fan, China | SotM-Asia 2017 | Country Presentation
The State of Map in China
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hongchao
1. The size of the mapping community
2. how much of mapping has happened in OSM
3. OSM then and now
4. Special tags in China
5. Major players and/or top contributors in China
6. Major activities carried out by community and/or community
members in the past year
7. Government perception regarding the OSM Movement?
8. Adoption of OSM by the private sector
9. Major use-cases/(interesting - inspiring) OSM stories in your
Major use-cases/(interesting - inspiring) OSM
stories in your country? --- No
• NOT illegal to contribute for OSM in China
• However, no motivation for the crowd
• Data quality in big cities are quite high
• In overall, China is a developing country, also in OSM
• OSM data are more and more used in research communities
• needs more promotion for the public