Dr. Ddungu Umaru
Maya, Wakiso -Uganda
Mobile phone number: +256782808323/+256703842038
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a public health specialist with a medical background and work experience of nine years in both
public service and Non-Government Organizations in Uganda. I am inclined towards Reproductive,
Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) programs but very flexible, competent
and knowledgeable in other health related programs. In addition, I continue to active medical practice
as a part time medical doctor in order to keep my clinical skills up-to-date. I have particular interest
and focus on management of programs in health. I am very flexible to working in all different cultural,
social and geographical environments and extensive field travels.
PERIOD QUALIFICATION/AWARD INSTITUTION
2016 – 2019
Master of Public Health (MPHM)
-Dissertation: “Factors Associated with Early
Discontinuation of Contraceptive Implants among
Women of Reproductive Age in Wakiso District, a
Facility-Based Cross-Sectional Study.”
2010 - 2011
Certificate of registration with Uganda Medical and
Dental Practitioners’ council
St. Mary’s Hospital Lacor, Gulu.
2005 - 2010
Bachelor of medicine and Bachelor of surgery
- Achieved CGPA = 3.71
2003 - 2004
Uganda Advance Certificate of Education (UACE)
- Achieved Grade A = 22 out of 25 points.
Kibuli Secondary School
1999 - 2002
Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE)
- Achieved Grade 1 = 7 points in best six subjects.
Makindye Secondary School
Outreach cluster coordinator at Marie Stopes UG, (July 2015 - ongoing)
- Monitoring and supervising clinical quality in eight field teams through supportive and continuous
clinical mentorships and trainings, conducting clinical competence assessments and ensuring an
effective referral systems for clients.
- Monitoring and supervising data quality and authenticity by ensuring data validation standards are
met; spot checks for integrity and authenticity of financial documents and programmatic data;
ensuring proper record keeping in all teams and reconciliation of data reported to districts with
- Managing and supervising performance of eight field teams through guidance on work planning,
daily site selection and scheduling, review and approval of field schedules, analysis of weekly and
monthly performance data and dashboards and addressing challenges with demand generation.
- Managing stock and logistics by liaising with procurement department to ensuring adequate stock
for service provision in all teams; weekly tracking of stock consumption and reconciliation with
service numbers; review of monthly stock flow and addressing variances; mentoring teams on stock
management protocols and real time tracking of outreach vehicle activities for efficiency in
- Managing staff through daily supervision of team leaders and regular and timely appraisal of staff;
supportive supervision visits to all teams with clear action points for performance improvement; and
reinforcing compliance rules and safeguarding practices.
- Managing partnerships and coordination with stake holders by working as a focal point coordinator
for all channels in 23 districts, initiating partnerships with NGOs/CBOs in different districts,
spearheading joint supervision with DHMT members in all districts and effective linkages with all
channels within MSUG.
In-charge, Kalungu east Health Sub-District and Bukulula Health Center IV in Kalungu
district local government (Jan 2013 – Jan 2016).
- I led and supervised quality improvement teams in six health facilities in the health sub-district
including Bukulula HCIV.
- I supervised Health Management Information System (HMIS) in the health sub district to ensure
accurate, complete and time data entries.
- I implemented the Uganda National Minimum Health Care Package regular provision of clinical
services to patients at Bukulula HCIV.
- Ensured efficient work planning, budgeting and management of allocated funds to six health facilities
with in Kalungu east HSD and Bukulula HCIV, using ministry of health PHC guidelines.
- I supervised requisition and procurement of stock supplies and equipment in the health sub-district
in accordance to National Medical stores and alternative distribution system guidelines.
- I supervised and appraised human resource at Bukulula HCIV and in-charges in the health sub-
district to ensure efficiency in performance.
Outreach team leader at Marie Stopes Uganda (Aug 2011 – Jun 2015)
- Supervised compliance to clinical standards and operating procedures in Masaka outreach team.
- Supervised a team of four field staff in Masaka outreach on a daily basis and ensured efficient service
- Monitored and supervised performance quality of data in Masaka outreach team for integrity and
- Monitored and supervised clinical quality in Masaka outreach team and ensured extremely low
incidence rates from clinical services.
- Controlled and supervised financial expenditures in Masaka outreach team and ensured cost
efficiency in service delivery evidenced by low “cost per CYP” indicator.
- Monitored and supervised requisition, storage and consumption of stock and logistics in Masaka
outreach team and minimized stock wastage in the team as well as accurate stock service number
Medical internship at St. Mary’s hospital Lacor – Gulu (Aug, 2010 – Aug, 2011)
- Trained and worked as medical intern in surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine and
pediatrics and I was awarded acknowledgement for registration as a medical doctor in Uganda.
Medical Volunteer (Dec 2009- Feb 2010, May – July 2010)
- Provided general medical services at Bombo Military hospital as a volunteer in two different time
frames during my undergraduate studies.
Excellent communications skills
Problem solving skills
Ability to work under pressure
Computer skills in several computer
Clinical skills in provision of all family
AWARDS AND OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS
- Certificate of merit for achieving the highest percentage of Couple Years of Protection (CYP) growth
for Jan-June 2013 awarded by Marie Stopes Uganda (MSU).
- Certificate of merit for achieving the highest CYP performance against target in Jan-Mar 2014
awarded by MSU.
- Certificate of award for outstanding performance in Kalungu district Local Government.
- Certificate of training in Non-communicable diseases case management awarded by the ministry of
health of the republic of Uganda.
- Certificate training in infection prevention awarded by MSU.
- Certificate of training in Medical emergency management awarded by MSU.
- Certificate of training in Family planning awarded by MSU.
- Fluent in English and Luganda (native).
- Dr. Ddungu Peter,
Director RISE Project,
Marie Stopes UG.
- Dr. Kirima Andrew,
Marie Stopes UG.
- Dr. Mutebi Ronald. Reagan,
Acting District Health Officer,
Kalungu district local government