Mini Lesson 2
FRIT 7234– Information Fluency and Inquiry
Georgia Southern University
Georgia Performance Standards
SSUSH11 : The student will describe the economic, social, and geographic
impact of the growth of big business and technological innovations after
a. Explain the impact of the railroads on other industries, such as steel, and
on the organization of big business.
b. Describe the impact of the railroads in the development of the West;
include the transcontinental railroad, and the use of Chinese labor.
c. Identify John D. Rockefeller and the Standard Oil Company and the rise of
trusts and monopolies
d. Describe the inventions of Thomas Edison; include the electric light bulb,
motion pictures, and the phonograph, and their impact on American life
• 1. Creativity and Innovation • 2. Communication and
– Students demonstrate
– Students use digital media and
environments to communicate
construct knowledge, and
and work collaboratively, including
at a distance, to support
products and processes
individual learning and contribute
to the learning of others.
• a. Interact, collaborate, and
• b. Create original
publish with peers, experts, or
works as a means of
others employing a variety of
personal or group
digital environments and
• b. Communicate information
and ideas effectively to
multiple audiences using a
variety of media and formats.
• 3. Research and
– Students apply digital tools
to gather, evaluate, and
• b. Locate, organize,
synthesize, and ethically
use information from a
variety of sources and
• c. Evaluate and select
information sources and
digital tools based on the
appropriateness to specific
• 5. Digital Citizenship
– Students understand
human, cultural, and
societal issues related to
technology and practice
legal and ethical behavior.
• b. Exhibit a positive
attitude toward using
technology that supports
collaboration, learning, and
• 6. Technology Operations and Concepts
– Students demonstrate a sound
understanding of technology concepts,
systems, and operations.
• a. Understand and use technology
• b. Select and use applications effectively
• How did the emergence of the railroad impact the
• Which industries benefited from the railroad? Why?
• How did Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller
accumulate their wealth through monopolies and
• How did inventions by Thomas Edison impact
Students will demonstrate knowledge of how the railroad helped
shape the economic growth of the United States following
Students will learn how and why Chinese and Irish immigrants were
chiefly responsible for the labor force in building the railroads.
Students will demonstrate knowledge of how new technology would
impact American society.
Students will successfully create an infographic using a Web 2.0 tool
based upon their topic of study.
Students will successfully post their infographic link to Twitter using
the appropriate hashtag.
Students will successfully attach and send their Work Cited page
• Each student will select a topic based upon the
GPS SSUSH11. The topic must be approved by
• The focus of the infographic is to demonstrate
knowledge of the topic as it relates to the
– Information must be relevant and appropriate to the
topic of study.
– The presentation must include text, visuals, video (link
or clip), and a overall design theme.
– Students must post the link to their infographic to
Twitter Post of Link
• Each student will create an infographic using one of the
options listed in the link:
– Students will include text, visuals, video link(s), and an
overall design theme.
– Students will email the teacher the Work Cited page:
• Curated list of resources to assist and guide students in
– Students will post the link to their infographic to Twitter:
– Each student must have 6 credible resources. The student
will use MLA format for the citation of sources and submit
it through email.
• Sources must be credible--- Wikipedia is NOT a credible
source! Use the link below to help you check the
validity of your sources.
• Use our media center page for databases and other