reddit advertising how-to: everything but the kitchen sink.
How it works
Let’s get started
Join the reddit community!
Reach the160 MM people browsing reddit by Placing your brand at the top of the frontage or relevant subreddits
with a promoted post.
min spend per
per 1,000 imps
Featured: Live Promoted post on reddit.com Homepage
“…one of the most traﬃcked
websites with some of the most
consistent and highly-valued
advertising real estate on the
Source: Pew Research Center, Google Analytics 2014, Nielsen @plan 2014 Q1
Every month, reddit generates over
7.1 billion pageviews
160 MM unique users
visitng from over
that stay on reddit for over
13:02 min. avg. time on site
9k active communities
22 MM votes
Made online purchases
in the last 6 months
35.2 Median Age
78% College Education
Registered to Vote
internet cookies in
the last 30 days
A destination site to millennials, reddit invites users from around the globe to share and discuss new
and interesting content.
16:16 min avg.
time on site
does it work?
What do reddit ads
See that orange border?
That’s highlighting what a
reddit ad looks like when it’s
live on reddit.com. You can
identify a reddit ad by its
light blue background, and
“sponsored link” label on the
bottom- right of the ad.
Where will my ad appear
on a reddit page?
reddit ads rotate at the top of
any reddit page above the #1
post, regardless of the up-
votes and down-votes it
receives. This premium
location allows for
Featured: Homepage rotating reddit ad
How will someone come
across my ad?
During ad creation, you
choose what page your ad
will show up in. You can
target your ad to the reddit
frontage and/or subreddit
pages. A visitor of these
selected target pages will
see your ad.
How many times will
my reddit ad show up?
This is up to you! You
control the appearances
(“impressions”) of your ad
on reddit with your desired
budget. The reddit ad
platform delivers this
impression amount at an
even pace from your start
to end date,
What’s your main advertising goal?
what’s the right Ad Product for you?
Drive Traﬃc to a Website Drive conversation and product awareness
“The conversation starter”
• Lives above the #1 post in any reddit page
• Clicks-through to any URL of your choice
• Includes: 100 characters in text, click-through URL,
70x70 thumbnail image
• Lives above the #1 post in any reddit page
• Includes an expandable text box
• Clicks-through to the reddit “comments page”
which displays the text box and promotes
• Includes: 100 characters in text, click-through
URL, 70x70 thumbnail image, text box
Use the “search reddit” tool
located on the top right-hand side of
any reddit page to find the subreddits
most relevant to your promotional
content. By searching for campaign
keywords, you’ll be able to find the best
subreddits for your reddit ad campaign.
Check your domain page!
This page shows all the organic posts
on reddit that link to your website.
It’s a great tool to see what redditors
think of your brand prior to
Click the “register”
link located at the
upper right corner of
to create your ad using a
headline title, thumbnail
image, and URL or text
Access your reddit traffic
page that displays hourly
reporting, and join
conversations in the
“comments” thread of
CREATE A USERNAME BUILD YOUR AD MONITOR THE CAMPAIGN
Featured: reddit.com Homepage Featured: Create a promotion” page Featured: reddit Traﬃc page
For a step-by-step breakdown, check out our reddit Advertising Manual
• Craft a great headline. Keep it casual! Personalize the headline (Ex. “Hi, /r/Funny” or “Greetings, /r/Cooking!”).
• Use a relevant, easy-to-see thumbnail image. This makes the ad more interesting, which can lead to a higher CTR.
• Offer a promo code! It’s hard to pass up a deal, and gives you another point of data to track.
• Create a custom landing page for redditors. Adds a personal touch to your ad, that can lead to more site interest.
• Join the conversation in the comments thread. People like seeing the human behind the ad.
• Change the headline copy and thumbnail every few weeks for long campaigns. Keeps the ad fresh and interesting.
• Use the “search reddit” tool to search for your brand on reddit. Great way to prepare for questions about your brand.
• Have fun with your campaign! If you’re not enjoying it, chances are redditors won’t either.
“ Ads aren't bad in themselves. It's just the attitude. We all have to go to the store, we all
have to have groceries, but there's a way to sell you things to make the exchange more of a
human one. “ - Bill Murray AMA (Jan. 2014)