1. The 5 Paragraph Essay <ul><li>Easy to create </li></ul><ul><li>Organizes your findings, thoughts, or opinions </li></ul><ul><li>Format can by used for any subject </li></ul><ul><li>Basic tool for any essay </li></ul>
2. The Basic Format <ul><li>-> PARAGRAPH 1: </li></ul><ul><li>Introduces the thesis and directs the reader to the three main supporting subtopics (arguments). </li></ul><ul><li>-> PARAGRAPHS 2 – 4: </li></ul><ul><li>Each paragraph restates the subtopic and provides a supporting argument with examples. </li></ul><ul><li>-> PARAGRAPH 5: </li></ul><ul><li>R estates the main thesis idea and reminds the reader of the three main supporting ideas that were developed. </li></ul>
3. The Thesis Statement <ul><li>Every 5-paragraph essay has a THESIS STATEMENT . </li></ul><ul><li>A thesis statement is one sentence that clearly and concisely tells the reader what your paper will be about. (It is the main point or position you will defend in your paper). </li></ul><ul><li>The thesis sentence should argue a point/position , not summarize information or facts. </li></ul><ul><li>The thesis statement is usually found in the first paragraph </li></ul>
4. A thesis statement is an assertion (a claim or declaration) , not a statement of fact or an observation . Fact or observation: People use many lawn chemicals. Thesis: People are poisoning the environment with chemicals merely to keep their lawns clean.
5. A thesis takes a stand rather than announcing a subject. Announcement : The thesis of this paper is the difficulty of solving our environmental problems. Thesis: Solving our environmental problems is more difficult than many environmentalists believe.
6. A thesis is the main idea, not the title . It must be a complete sentence that explains in some detail what you expect to write about. Title: Social Security and Old Age. Thesis: Continuing changes in the Social Security System makes it almost impossible to plan intelligently for one's retirement.
7. A thesis statement is narrow , rather than broad . If the thesis statement is sufficiently narrow, it can be fully supported. Broad: The Canadian steel industry has many problems. Narrow: The primary problem if the Canadian steel industry is the lack of funds to renovate outdated plants and equipment.
8. A thesis statement is specific rather than vague or general. Vague: Hemingway's war stories are very good. Specific: Hemingway's stories helped create a new prose style by employing extensive dialogue, shorter sentences, and strong Anglo-Saxon words.
9. A thesis statement has one main point rather than several main points . More than one point may be too difficult for the reader to understand and the writer to support. More than one main point: Stephen Hawking's physical disability has not prevented him from becoming a world-renowned physicist, and his book is the subject of a movie. One Main point: Stephen Hawking's physical disability has not prevented him from becoming a world renowned physicist.
10. Revising Your Thesis Statement You can revise your thesis statement whenever you want to while you are writing your essay. Writers often discover what their real purpose and point is in the process of putting their thoughts into words and then reading what they've written.
11. The Thesis Statement <ul><li>A good argumentative thesis provides not only a position on an issue, but also suggests the structure of the paper. </li></ul><ul><li>The thesis should allow the reader to imagine and anticipate the flow of the paper, in which a sequence of points logically prove the essay's main assertion. </li></ul>
12. Thesis Statement <ul><li>It should have 3 (for a 5 paragraph essay) points specifically laid out in the order you want to discuss them: </li></ul><ul><li>Dogs are great pets because they help owners get exercise and are loyal and friendly. </li></ul><ul><li>If using this as a thesis, the paper should follow the format it lays out. </li></ul><ul><li>Paragraph 1 will be about dogs helping owners get exercise, </li></ul><ul><li>Paragraph 2 about dogs being loyal, </li></ul><ul><li>Paragraph 3 about dogs being friendly. </li></ul><ul><li>You should be able to transition smoothly between paragraphs, so order your points in a manner that flows well logically. </li></ul><ul><li>Each paragraph should begin with a topic sentence that relates directly back to your thesis. </li></ul>