Andaya, Esmilli S.
B.S.M.A – 2
1. What are the suggested amendments to the 1987 constitution?
Amendment or Revision of the 1987 Constitution
1. The 1987 Constitution can be changed either by amendment or revision
2. REVISION- It is the rewriting or overhauling of the entire instrument
3. AMENDMENT- It is a change or alteration for the better, an amendment or change within the lines of the
original instrument which will bring about improvement.
4. How may the 1987 Constitution be Revised
In Revising the Constitution there are two (2) Modes:
i. By the Congress, upon a vote of ¾ of all its members or;
ii. By a Constitutional Convention
If Congress chooses to call a constitutional convention to revise the Constitution, it may either;
b.1 Call a Constitutional Convention by a vote of 2/3 of all its members; or
B.2 Submit to the electorate the question for calling such a body by a majority vote of all its members
5. How may the Constitution be amended
Amendment may be effected:
1. By Congress, upon a vote of the ¾ of all its members
2. By a Constitutional Convention
3. By People’s Initiative
2. What are the reasons why some people want to change/ amend the 1987 constitution?
The reason why some people want to amend the 1987 constitution is that, like Sen. Jose
“Jinggoy” Estrada said “Now is the perfect time to amend the Constitution because President Aquino’s
popularity remains high and he is not interested in remaining in power after his term ends in three years”
3. What are the reasons why some people do not want the constitution amended.