1. FAITH Theological Virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that He has said and revealed to us. By Faith, Man freely commits his entire self to God
2. Knights of Columbus God looks upon CHARITY given to the poor as an act of charity to Himself.“Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did it for Me” (Mt 25:40)
3. Knights of Columbus THE PRECEPTS OF FRATERNAL CHARITYJesus Christ has declared that the precept which commands us to love our neighbor is like that which commands us to love God. The act of Fraternal Charity put into practice:“Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. (Mt 7:12)” through….
4. Knights of Columbus THE WORKS OF MERCYare charitable actions by which we come to the aid of our neighbor in his spiritual and bodily necessities. 1.Spiritual Works of Mercy 2.Corporal Works of Mercy
5. Knights of Columbus Seven Chief Spiritual Works of Mercy1. To admonish the sinner2. To instruct the ignorant3. To counsel the doubtful4. To comfort the sorrowful5. To bear wrongs patiently6. To forgive all injuries7. To pray for the living and the dead
6. Spiritual Works of Mercy the Sinner 1. Admonish James 5: 20 tells us;“He who causes a sinner to be brought back from his misguided way, will save his soul from death, and will cover multitude of sins.”
7. Spiritual Works of Mercy 2. Instruct the IgnorantFrequent reading of the Bible for usmembers of the Knights of Columbus is mandated, for Ignorance of the Scriptures, is ignorance of Christ. (St. Jerome)
8. Spiritual Works of Mercy 3. Counsel the doubtfulAs in admonishing sinners, advising the doubtful should be done prudently and gently to effect good results. It is seldom effective to rush into heated argument. Let us pray first before giving counsel.
9. Spiritual Works of Mercy Sorrowful 4. Comfort theTo comfort the sorrowful is a work of mercy similar to curing the sick, since grief is a mental and emotional ailment. He reserves for us in heaven, when all earthly sorrows and troubles will be ended.
10. Spiritual Works of Mercy 5. Bear wrongs patientlyBy being patient with injustice, we benefit both ourselves and our fellowman.“Learning Christ” the invocation says: “Teach me, my Lord, to profit by thesuffering that comes across my path. Letme use it that it may make me patient not irritable…”
11. Spiritual Works of Mercy 6. Forgive all injuriesWe must not seek revenge, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord” (Rom 12:19). “ If you forgive men their offenses, your heavenly Father will also forgive your offenses. But if you do not forgive men neither will your Father forgive you your offenses”(Mt 6:14-15).
12. Spiritual Works of Mercy7. Pray for the living and the dead Prayer is the raising of one’s mind and heart to God or the supplication or petition of good things from God.We should pray for all the faithful living on earth (our family, the Church, Pope, Bishops, Priests & Nuns, those who are in authority, our friends, neighbors and even our enemies), and the poor souls in Purgatory.
13. Corporal Works of Mercy 1. To feed the hungry 2. To give drink to the thirsty 3. To clothe the naked 4. To visit the imprisoned 5. To shelter the homeless 6. To visit the sick 7. To bury the dead
14. Corporal Works of Mercy Feed the Hungry 1. Never turn away anyone who is hungry, specially if poor, old or disabled. Those in authority should try to prevent unemployment. Giving work is the best means for removing the necessity of feeding the unemployed.
15. Corporal Works of Mercy Give drink to the 2. thirsty “Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ, Amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward.” (Mk 9:41)
16. Corporal Works of Mercy 3. Clothe the naked Give clothes to the needy and poor, help mothers of large families mend clothes.
17. Corporal Works of Mercy 4. Visit the imprisoned Visiting prisoners in jail and detention homes, console and help prisoners as well as their families. “Be mindful of prisoners as if sharing their imprisonment, and of the ill-treated as yourselves….” (Heb 13:3)
18. Corporal Works of Mercy 5. Shelter the homeless Give shelter and hospitality in cases of fire and disaster. St. Paul said: “Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels.” (Heb 13:1-2)
19. Corporal Works of Mercy 6. Visit the sick Visit, console and give relief to the sick and very old. Provide medical assistance, medicines, and proper food for the sick is a meritorious act of charity.
20. Corporal Works of Mercy 7. Bury the dead Attend a funeral, visit a home in mourning, aid the bereaved family of their departed loved ones gives them comfort and consolations. Every word or act done in the name of Christ or for His sake is a work of mercy and will be rewarded.
21. POINTS TO PONDER I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or there be any kindness I can show to any human being , let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (William Penn)
22. POINTS TO PONDER world and its The desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever with Him. (1 Jn 2:17)
23. Discipleship of the Laity Serve God and their fellowmen through diligent fulfillment of their Christian duties Vivat Jesus!