1. Social Media
7 ways to engage talk leaders and readers
2. How i Use it
My online brand...
• 4 years
• 1,000+ posts
• 2,000 subscribers
• 40,000 Google listings
• 100 technorati authority
3. How i Use it
to try this!
My online life...
4. about Social Media
5. Social Media
How people use technologies to get the things
they need from other people rather than
traditional institutions (like businesses and media).
News Shopping Advice Tools Networking Entertainment
Social media is technology agnostic.
6. How People Use Social Media
How We Build content: How We Use content:
coMMeNT coNTRiBUTe leaRN
7. How Brands and agencies Use Social Media
VALUE TO VALUE TO
• What do we need to accomplish?
• How will people ENGAGE with what we do?
Why will they be interested enough to participate?
Folklore at crispin, Porter & Bogusky:
Alex Bogusky doesn’t want to see scripts anymore.
“Don’t show me a script, show me the press release.”
8. 7 Ways to Use Social Media
9. 1 observe and listen to Build Relevance
Where to find insights: What an insight looks like:
• How does your audience talk about the brand?
• What is their core definition of who you are?
• What other interests do they share?
• How do they use social media?
YoUR Mini is a brand of “People like Me”:
BUY oNe BRaNd BUY loTS
• A club
• A truly unique choice
• A brand I’m passionate about,
talk about and buy again
10. digital ethnography
How we’re connected:
What we’re talking about:
What we save (and share):
What we’re paying attention to: del.icio.us
What enchants and engages us:
11. 2 Reach out to online Talk leaders
The 5 commandments of Talking
to Bloggers and Talk leaders:
1 Get to know your target
2 Be relevant or unexpected
3 Deconstruct content
4 Create fresh kinds of access • unexpected
5 Provide exclusives
12. 3 Teach Storytelling
old Role: dialing for Placements
Follow up Create content
“I’m proud of this work.
And I’m trying to get it out there.
Will you post it?”
create an Tell an empower
engagement authentic social
strategy story spokespeople
13. 4 Refresh Traditional Tools
14. 4 Refresh Traditional Tools
15. 4 Refresh Traditional Tools
Socializing our approach
Immediate Recall and
Access Serve Up
16. 5 Budget to Solve Problems
They missed the
It doesn’t work
I sat on hold URGENT aMBaSSadoR
for 2 hours! SOLUTIONS
They screw their
17. 6 Prioritize engagement early & often
YoU caMe iN HeRe
o and talked to people here
18. 6 Prioritize engagement early & often
od so they have
Develop me ownership here
engage people here
o listen to people here
YoU caMe iN HeRe
19. 7 Rewrite the crisis Plan
Listening to and talking through social media when controversy hits
Find windows into what talk leaders are saying
before the story reaches a mass audience
Empower brand trustees who know the
mediums and speak passionately
Plan ahead by establishing a credible online
20. it is as hard as you think
. . . and many clients aren’t
ready for it.
21. People Talking about companies
• What our customer wants
• What our competitors don’t offer
22. People creating and Telling Brand Stories
Brand authenticity People
• Aligned message
• Clear story
23. People inside and outside are Storytellers
New Relationship Model
Source: The Open Brand, by Kelly Mooney
24. What else do you want to know?