History of St. John Lutheran Church - Kendallville
150 years of HistoryKendallville, IN
• THE CHANCEL is the focal point as we enter our church• THE SANCTUARY LAMP, hanging in the center of thechancel arch is symbolic of our Lord, who calls Himselfthe Light of the World.• THE THREE MEANS OF GRACE, The Word and the twoSacraments are symbolized by the lectern and pulpit(The Word), the font, symbolic of Holy Baptism, and theAltar, symbolic of Holy Communion.
• ABOVE THE ALTAR we have the three symbols of the threepersons of the Holy Trinity.• On the left, facing the altar is the creative hand of God theFather.• In the center is the triumphant Lamb, the Son of God.• On the right, the Holy Spirit descending in the form of a dove.• In the center is the “tower”, reminding us of God, our MightFortress.• On each side of the altar, wheat and grapes, symbolic of themain purpose of the altar, the celebration of the Lord’s Supper.• The large wooden cross in the center points to Christ, theLamb of God, offered as sacrifice for us, as symbolized at thecrossing of the arms.• On each side of the cross are plaques, picturing the scourgingof Jesus (left side) and the ladder, pear and hyssop used inthe actual crucifixion (right side)
ON THE TABLE OF THE ALTAR• The brass cross , empty, to symbolize our Lord’s resurrection• Two candelabra (five light each), two single candlesticks to the right and leftserving as Communion lights. All candlelight in the chancel is symbolic of Jesus,the Light of the WorldNAVE• Nave is Latin for “ship”, the church being pictured as a ship sailing on the sea oflife, bringing us to the heavenly shore. As we sit together in worship, we canthink of the main part of the church as our Nave, our Ship.THE PARAMENTS OF THE ALTAR, LECTERN AND PULPIT• Green—symbol of the Holy Trinity, three Person in One divine Essence• Red—the power and fire of the “Lord and Giver of life”• Purple—somberness, solemnity, penitence and prayer• White—purity and completeness• Black—sober reflection on the cost of our redemption (Good Friday & AshWednesday)• Blue—a new church year
Fifteen Christian symbols have been placed in the beautiful stainedglass windows of our sanctuary. Each symbol portrays a Christianmessage.• The vines on the windows remind us that the Lord says, “I am theVine, ye are the branches.”• Each window has a pointed arch, signifying our striving for growth inspiritual life.• The sheaf of wheat symbolizes the bread we use in the Lord’sSupper.• The anchor is a form of the cross and symbolizes our hope and faithanchored in Christ.• The Easter lilies symbolize the resurrection, showing us that deathand life are inseparable.• The cross with the crown of thorns is to remind us that Christ died onthe cross for all mankind.• The golden chalice (cup) is the symbol of Holy Communion wherewe receive the Lord’s body and blood for our forgiveness andstrengthening.
• The lamb with the banner symbolized Christ as the Lamb of God, having takenaway the sins of the whole world, carrying the banner of victory over sin anddeath which He gained for us through His cross. This same symbol is seen onthe large wooden cross above the altar.• The ark with the dove symbolizes the church, the entire number of all believerswith the dove returning with the olive branch that tells us God has restored peacewith us through Christ.• The jeweled crown of our Lord, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords reminds usof the reward of the faithful in life eternal as we reign with Christ in heaven.• The Greek “A” and “O” are the Alpha and Omega, the first and last letters of theGreek alphabet. These symbolize Christ who is the beginning and ending of allthings for Christians.• The lamp on the Bible reminds us that His Word is a lamp unto our feet and thatwe should follow the guiding light of Scripture.• The serpent on the cross signifies that just as Moses lifted up the serpent in thewilderness, so Christ was lifted up on the cross that whoever believes in Himshall be saved.• Tables of the Ten Commandments is the symbol of the Holy Law as given toMoses.• The white rose is the symbol of Lutheranism by Martin Luther.
• The present organ, located in the balcony was installed in1952. It was purchased from the Schantz Organ Company ofOrrville, Ohio, at a cost of $12,516.00.• The original organ was a Marshall Bennett organ purchasedby the young people in 1905.• In the fire of 1925 the organ was damaged and then rebuilt bythe Louisville Organ Company.• In 1952 the original pipe organ was dismantled after Easter tobe replaced by a new one. Raymond Beights presented aconcert the Sunday evening before it was dismantled. Mrs.Albert Sprandel, who had been organist as vacanciesoccurred since 1918, played the last church service on the oldorgan.
• Dedication of the present organ took place at the 10:30 a.m.service on May 25, 1952 with Dr. Raymond Beights (son of St.John) at the console and Dr. Martin F. Kretzmann preaching.• The console of the organ consists of two keyboards—the swelland the great manual. The two keyboards consist of sixty-onekeys each and a pedal board with thirty-two keys. There isone pipe for each key and at least 61 pipes for each rank. Arank is a collection of pipes which have the same tone quality.Our instrument has 13 ranks and 920 pipes.• The pipe organ is a massive machine composed ofmechanical, electrical and pneumatic parts which worktogether to produce the musical sound which have enhancedour singing at St. John.
• The St. John Lutheran Church has three brass bells, each of adifferent size.• The largest bell is approximately 35 inches high and 50 incheswide.• All of the three bells have the name of Hy. Stuckstede Bell Co.,St. Louis, Mo. as the maker and dated 1892. The churchbuilding in which the bells were hung was dedicated in 1873.• On January 10, 1892 it was resolved to buy a peal of threebells (3965 pounds) from the Stuckstede Bell Company of St.Louis who also donated a 150 pound bell for the school. Theschool bell was taken down when the school was discontinuedand given to another unknown church.
• The bells have the following inscription:The largest called “Faith” has the inscription “Glory to God in the Highest” andthe text “God is Love”.The second bell called “Charity” has the inscription “Peace on Earth” and thetext “Go and preach the Gospel to Every Creature”.The smallest bell received the name “Hope” and the inscription “Good WillToward Men” and the text “God so loved the world that He gave His Only-begotten Son”.• All these inscriptions are in German. Total cost of the bells was$880.22.• On the large bell the inscription in German reads:GLAUBEEHRE SEI GOTT IN DER HOHEGOT IST DIE LIEBE
• The bells were originally installed so that they could be rung bypulling ropes, which seemed to have been fastened to woodenwheels. Portions of wooden wheels still lie on the floor of the belfry,but steel wheels have been installed for present day ringing, andfurther modern methods have been added so that ringing can bedone with electric motors.• All three bells have an apparatus for striking a toll but only the largebell has its tolling hammer connected to the electrical mechanism.The other two toll hammers are not in use. The toll hammers areinstalled in such manner that they strike downwards and against theoutside of the bell.• When the church was destroyed by fire May 5, 1924, the bells weresaved. Many of the supporting timbers in the belfry are slightlycharred as a result of that devastating fire.
• In 1939 a plan was adopted concerning the ringing of the churchbells:3 bells to be rung each Saturday at 6 p.m.3 bells to be rung eve of each church holiday—Christmas, Easter andPentecostLarge bell to be rung at 8:30 a.m. for Sunday School3 bells to be rung at 9:00 a.m. for Sunday School hourLarge bell to be rung at 10:00 a.m. for the preaching service3 bells to be rung at 10:30 a.m. for the worship service.Large bell to be rung at 7:00 p.m. on Sunday evening and other days whenevening services are held3 bells at 7:30 p.m. for the worship serviceLarge Bell to be rung announcing the beginning of the funeral service in thehomeLarge bell is to toll as the funeral procession approaches3 bells may be rung at a marriage in the church• The dedication of the electric bell ringers took place on March 22,
• Frederick Schumann (Fairfield Pastor)1860-1865• Joseph Lehner (Avilla Pastor)1860-1865• Albert Wuestermann1865-1870• Philip Fleischmann1871-1878• George Schumm1879-1889• William Broecker1889-1896• Richard D. Biedermann1896-1903• Ernst C. Kuehn1903-1909• Martin F. Kretzmann1909-1954• Herman H. Heine1955-1972• Herman A. Etzold1973-1976• Kenneth J. Gerike1976-1982• Paul B. Griebel1982-2013