2. "Meet Me At 3rd And Fairfax"The original Farmers Market in Los Angeles isone of the most famous landmarks inCalifornia!
3. The Farmers Market in 1934It all started with an idea. Roger Dahlhjelmand Fred Beck(pictured here)went to a man namedMr. Gilmore with an ideafor a marketplace wherepeople could sell produce,textiles, furniture andother handmade goods.
4. Through The Years● The area that the market is on was bought in 1918 & was 256 acres of empty land.● Farmers (all 18 of them) paid 50 cents a month to rent space in the market place.● They predicted a gross income of 6 million dollars when 1920 ended. It was more.● In 1941, the famous clock tower was brought in.● In 1952, CBS Studios buys some land from Mr. Gilmore and opens up next door to the market.
5. ● 1948- The Gilmore Drive In movie theater opens.● 1955- Gilmore Bank opens.● The 50s and 60s- Farmers Market was a "hot spot" for celebrities such as Mickey Rooney and Marilyn Monroe.● 1960-1980 The market grows to more than 120 shops and restaurants.● 1991 The Los Angeles City Council declares the market a Historic Cultural Monument.● 2002 The Gilmore Drive in is torn down and becomes The Grove shopping venue.
6. Fun Facts● Charlie Sue Gilbert, of Charlie Sue’s Coffee Shop, serves some of the morning regulars so often that she puts their orders on her grill when she sees them walking onto the West Patio.● In an average year, at least 3 million visitors come to Farmers Market. Each year, Rose Bowl fans come to the Market in such numbers that as many as 85 coach busses have visited the property on a single day.● More than 90% of all the shops and stalls at Farmers Market are independently owned and operated.● At least 20 sons and daughters of Farmers Market merchants work at the Market; at least two Market entrepreneurs employ their parents; one Market merchant worked for his dad and later employed his daughter.● On an average day, Market visitors purchase more than 1,000 gallons of coffee.