Human remains were recorded during archaeological monitoring of a watermains trench in the middle of the road at the junction between the Athenry Road and the Dublin Road Housing Estate The works were associated with the Tuam Town Water Supply Scheme in early 2012. The remains of 48 individuals were recorded and excavated along with a section of the boundary wall and internal ditch of Tuam Union Workhouse. The burials were originally located within the bounds of Tuam Poor Law Union Workhouse which had opened to admissions in 1846. Eighteen grave pits were identified, with each containing between two and four burials. The individuals buried within these grave pits were paupers.