BPM Process Patterns Primer
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

BPM Process Patterns Primer

on

  • 1,822 views

Primer on business process patterns and their relationship to content management

Primer on business process patterns and their relationship to content management

Statistics

Views

Total Views
1,822
Views on SlideShare
1,805
Embed Views
17

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
9
Comments
0

3 Embeds 17

http://www.slideshare.net 13
http://www.linkedin.com 3
https://www.linkedin.com 1

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

BPM Process Patterns Primer BPM Process Patterns Primer Presentation Transcript

  • Business Process ManagementPatterns Primer
    12/15/09
    David Champeau - ECM Consultant
  • Business Process Management Patterns
    Case Management
    One and Done
    Author / Review / Approve / Publish
    Introduction
  • Case Management defined
    Gather information
    Perform investigation
    Render decision
    Examples:
    Open bank/brokerage account
    Life insurance policy underwriting
    Auto accident claim processing
    Paradigm
    Folder
    Business Process Patterns
  • Gather Information
    Managed by a knowledge worker, information worker, specialist, case manager
    Folder is managed by the KW and routed to experts for input, opinions, assistance
    Investigations:
    Credit, fraud, suitability
    Render Decision
    Rules based
    Management levels required
    Business Process Patterns
  • Case Management
    Well defined document types
    Scanning operations to capture documents particularly for “old” business processes like life insurance policies
    Manage the folder
    Combination of collaboration and sequential business processes
    Business Process Patterns
  • One and Done
    Form, document or letter
    Single or small number of pages
    Examples:
    Address change
    Beneficiary change
    Paradigm
    Document
    Business Process Patterns
  • One and Done
    Processed like an assembly line
    Use technology to speed processing
    Use of forms allows for use of better technologies like OCR, ICR, etc.
    Build for the rule not the exception
    If automation improves processing quantity and quality of 80% deal with the other 20% in exception processing
    Building for exceptions costs big $
    Business Process Patterns
  • Author / Review / Approve / Publish
    Forms and/or documents
    Examples:
    Newsletter
    Travel Expenses
    Technical manuals
    Paradigms
    Form(s) with or without attachments
    Collaboration in the Authoring stage
    Publish step can be optional and will be very different from one business process to another
    Business Process Patterns
  • Author Step
    Different types of “authoring”
    Single user
    Collaboration within a team
    Multiple authors, multiple articles
    Review Step
    Single or Multiple reviewers
    Sequential or parallel reviews
    Business Process Patterns
  • Approval Step
    Single or Multiple approvals
    Sequential or parallel approvals
    Use rules or rules engine to determine flow
    Business Process Patterns
  • Publish Step
    Takes many forms
    Publish a newsletter
    Publish a document for the masses
    Write a check for a payment
    Use publishing technology to transform approved content for publication
    HTML
    PDF
    Business Process Patterns
  • Technology mixing
    Author /Review / Approve / Publish not only crosses many horizontal boundaries but may require different technologies along the way
    SharePoint or Quickr for Authoring
    ECM / BPM for Review and Approve
    WCM for Publish
    Business Process Patterns
  • Simple Example
    Author
    Review
    Review
    Publish
  • Different variations of same model
    Parallel Reviews and/or Approvals
    Review1
    Author
    Review2
    Approve
    Publish
    Review3
  • Different variations of same model
    Multiple Authors collaborating
    Author1
    Author2
    Review
    Approve
    Publish
    Author3
  • All content is part of a business process
    Something launches the business process
    Document
    Form
    User decision
    Content and Business Process Management