The conversion of Constantine Historical Perspective His vision of the cross would dramatically change the relationship the empire had with the church
The Edict of Milan Historical Perspective The edict, signed by Constantine and Licinius, would grant Christianity “toleration”
The Council of Nicea Historical Perspective Presided over by Constantine, dealt with the Arian controversy. The council produced the Nicene Creed which would become the standard for Christian orthodoxy.
Julian the Apostate 360 AD Historical Perspective Tried to restore paganism to the empire
Theodosius – 391 AD Historical Perspective Made Christianity the official religion of the empire. Brought the issue of persecution full circle as he began the persecution and elimination of all non Christian cults and their temples.
With the conversion of Constantine, the persecuted church became the TOLERATED church then eventually the OFFICIAL RELIGION of the empire. N otes
The response of Christians to the new found favor of the empire: * Some were GRATEFUL that it was difficult to take a CRITICAL STANCE before government and society The response of the Church...
* Others FLED to the desert and took up the MONASTIC life The response of the Church...
* Others BROKE AWAY from the imperial church insisting they were the TRUE church The response of the Church...
* There was a PAGAN reaction of people seeking to reestablish the former ancient religion The response of the Church...
* It was also a time of bitter THEOLOGICAL controversies The response of the Church...
* This period came to an end with the invasions of the BARBARIANS who in 410 sacked Rome and in 476 deposed the last Western Emperor. The response of the Church...
<ul><li>APPLICATION </li></ul><ul><li>Do not COMPROMISE with the WORLD . </li></ul><ul><li>1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him </li></ul>What does it mean for me?
2. Finish STRONG Col 2:8 Beware lest anyone disqualify you for the prize through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. What does it mean for me?
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.