Accessibility of mobile Devices
10th / 11th June 2014
6/17/2014 www.portland.ac.uk 2
By the end of this session you will...
- have gained an awareness of iPad accessibility features
- have had the opportunity for hands-on exploration
By the end of this session you may...
- have discovered apps and features you never knew existed.
- already have emailed your budget manager asking for 20 iPads.
- have been disappointed not to find Angry Birds on the devices.
6/17/2014 www.portland.ac.uk 3
Inbuilt features to make device accessible.
- Optical Character Recognition (additional app)
6/17/2014 www.portland.ac.uk 4
6/17/2014 www.portland.ac.uk 5
6/17/2014 www.portland.ac.uk 6
6/17/2014 www.portland.ac.uk 7
- Reads out selected text.
- Quick and easy to use
- Only need to go into Settings once
- Doesn’t interfere with general use
6/17/2014 www.portland.ac.uk 13
- Custom magnification of screen
- Set up once in Settings
- 3-fingered double-tap to turn on and off
- 3-fingered double-tap, hold and slide to set magnification
6/17/2014 www.portland.ac.uk 16
- OCR app
- Photograph printed text
- Edit and export text
- Text-to-speech app
- Range of fonts, contrast options and voices
- Edit and export text or save as mp3,
- urns iPad into a handheld magnifier