Answer from the pre-class reading only.
Negative marks will be applicable for wrong answers.
Answer in one or two sentences.
Presidency Business School,
QUIZ no. 3
Name : Date:
Sem: 1(MKU) Marketing Management
Two marks each
1.What is primary sources of data?
2. What are the types of primary data?
3.What is census?
4.Why is census not suitable for many
5. What is the term given to the pie
taken from a population?
A marketing information system consists
of people, equipment , procedures to
gather sort analyse evaluate distribute
needed, timely and accurate information
to marketing decision makers.
How do we gather information?
Internal intelligence systems
Analyse macro environment
Other macro environment like:
- Economic environment
- Social cultural environment
- Natural environment
- Technological environment
- Political legal environment
Components of MIS :
- Internal company records
- Marketing intelligence system
- Marketing research
MIS provides information on:
- Buyer wants, preferences and behaviour
- Consumption patterns across geographic areas
Thus the companies can :
- Choose its markets better, develop better offerings,
execute better planning
Managers rely on
Order, sales, prices, costs, inventory levels,
Let us now examine each of the components of
1. Internal records :
- Order to payment cycle
- Sales information system
- Data base , data warehousing, data mining
1.1 Order to payment cycle :
The heart of internal records is the order to payment cycle.
Sales representatives , dealers and customers send orders . The
sales department prepares an invoice and transmits to all in the
company. Out of stock items are back ordered . Shipped items
are accompanied by shipping and billing documents that are
sent to various department.
1.2 Sales information system:
Marketing managers need timely report from sales for further
actions. How much has been sold, stock pending at the
distributors, stock in transit , how a consumer promotion has
worked , these are some of the information that this system
1.3 Database management :
Companies collect and organize data according
to customers, products, sales and then
combine all these to arrive at some decision
Data warehousing is storing data in one source
with multiple files so that retrieval is easy.
Data mining is extracting relevant information
from the warehouse and analyzing it
according to the needs of the situation.
2. Marketing intelligence system
It is a set of procedures and sources
managers use to obtain
everyday information about developments in
- Information is got through reading
journals, customers, suppliers
How can one obtain a good marketing
- Motivated sales force can spot new
- Distributors, retailers and suppliers
- Stock holders meetings, published reports
- Customer advisory panel
- Govt. data resources
- Retail audit, consumer panel data
- Online customer feedback
3. Marketing Research
1. What is marketing research?
“The systematic gathering , recording and
analysing of data about problems
related to the marketing of goods and
2. Purpose of research :
- Decision making tool
- Risk reduction
- Discovering profitable opportunities
3. Marketing research acts as a marketing tool in the following
areas of sales and marketing.
- Study of consumer behaviour
- Product design
- Designing distribution channels
- Advertising design – through consumer perception
- Social marketing
4. Steps in marketing research
- Problem definition
- Research design
- Field work/Collect information
- Data Analysis
- Report presentation
Let us examine each of the steps with its sub activities
Problem definition –
- Define the issue on hand
- Give a correct overview of current scenario and future
- Data collection
Focus group Research
Experimental research( cause & effect
- Planning and supervision
- Classifying raw data
- Summarising data
- Analytical methods to analyse and
then make an inference
Application of research :
- Sales and market analysis
- Product research
- Corporate research
- Advertising research
Barriers to the use of MR
A narrow conception of Marketing
Uneven caliber of Marketing
Late and erroneous findings by
Personality and presentational