6. C/D/H Project ManagementExpertise• C/D/H Project Management Group– Five members– PMI certified– Experience in multiple project managementtools and methodologies– Experience in PMO development andoperations
7. Get Social with C/D/Hfacebook.firstname.lastname@example.org/company/cdh
8. Your PresenterDoug MacNEIL,Lead ConsultantPhD-Candidate| PMP |MCITP:EPM | MCTMCTS | MOS | CNEDougM@cdh.com
9. What is a “Project”?“A project is a temporary endeavorundertaken to create a unique productservice or result”Source:A guide to the project management body ofknowledge (PMBOK Guide) Fourth Edition
10. Why SharePoint and ProjectServer?• What are you using now for EnterpriseProject Management (EPM)?• What pain points are you experiencing?• Do you need EPM?
12. Project Management• Projects in one form or another have beenundertaken for millennia• Gantt Chart first developed in 1920• The latter half of the 20th century peoplestarted to talk about “Project Management”
13. Why Project Management• Project and Portfolio Management helpsorganizations gain visibility and control across allwork, enhancing decision-making, improvingalignment with business strategy, maximizingresource utilization, and enhancing projectexecution
14. The Business NeedsAlign work with strategicobjectivesManage projects andresources effectivelyGain visibility andcontrol over projectsRationalize investment
15. Microsoft Project ManagementTools• Microsoft Project• Microsoft Project Server• Microsoft SharePoint
16. Microsoft Project• Microsoft Project gives you a powerful, visuallyenhanced way to effectively manage a widerange of projects and programs
17. Editions of Microsoft Project• Project Standard– Keep projects organized and easily measureand communicate progress with modernreports.• Project Professional– Easily collaborate with others to quickly startand deliver winning projects.  Improvedsynchronization with SharePoint 2013 helpsyou effectively track status from virtuallyanywhere.
18. Editions of Microsoft Project• Project Professional for Office 365– Get the control and capabilities of ProjectProfessional 2013 from virtually anywhere asan always up-to-date desktop subscriptionthrough Office 365.
19. Microsoft Project Tools• Target Audience:– Project Standard• Individuals and Part Time Project Managers• “Accidental” Project Managers– Project Professional• Full Time Project Managers• Dedicated Project Managers• Located within a specific department
20. Microsoft Project Tools• Target Audience:– Project Server with Project Professional• Full Time Project Managers• Dedicated Project Managers• Located within PMO, Engineering R&D, ProductDevelopment− SharePoint with or without Project Server andProject Pro• General Knowledge Worker• Located throughout organization
21. What is Microsoft ProjectServer 2013• Microsoft Project Server builds upon theMicrosoft SharePoint Server platform• Provides a basis for Project WebApplication pages, site administration,project workspaces, and authenticationinfrastructure for Project Server users.
22. What is Microsoft ProjectServer 2013• Microsoft Project Server 2013 providesinnovative capabilities across the entirelifecycle• Helps organizations effectively initiate,select, plan and deliver projects on timeand within budget.
23. Microsoft Project ManagementOverview• Microsoft Project History– 1984 – Original version DOS based– 1986 – Version 4 (Final DOS based version)– 1990 – Version 1 for Windows– 1991 – MAC version released– No version 2 for Windows ever released– Current version is 15th release• Project 2013• Project Online
24. Microsoft Project ManagementOverview• Microsoft Project Server History– 2000 – Project Central– 2002 – Project Server 2002– 2003 – Office Project Server 2003– 2007 – Office Project Server 2007• Major Architectural Change– Began Integration with SharePoint– 2010 – Office Project Server 2010– Current• Office Project Server 2013• Project Online
25. Microsoft SharePointOverview• Microsoft SharePoint History– 2001 – Portal Server– 2002 – Team Services– 2003 – Portal Server 2003– 2007 – SharePoint Server 2007– Began Integration with Project Server– 2010 – SharePoint Enterprise 2010– Current - Released late in 2012• SharePoint Server 2013• SharePoint Online
26. SharePoint Requirements• Depends on Farm Design– Windows Server• 2012• 2008 R2 SP1– SQL Server• Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1• Server 2012
27. Project Server Requirements• Windows Server– 2012– 2008 R2 SP1• SQL Server– Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1– Server 2012• SharePoint Server 2013
28. Project Server 2013 Architecture
29. Project Server 2010 Architecture• Project Server 2010 requires MicrosoftSharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise as aninstallation requirement.
30. Project Server 2010 Architecture
31. Project Server 2007 Architecture• Office SharePoint Server 2007 aggregatesservices and applications that werepreviously separate products.
32. Project Server 2007 Architecture
33. You just might be a ProjectManager• If youre 6 months late on a milestone duenext week but really believe you can makeit, you just might be a project manager.(Apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)
34. SharePoint and Project Server BothGreat Products
35. SharePoint and Project Server Buteven Better Together
36. Project Management with Projectand SharePoint• Managing projects as SharePoint task lists• Managing projects with full control
37. Project Management with Projectand SharePoint• The Project Application Service in ProjectServer 2013 can be associated with aSharePoint site collection for use withSharePoint tasks lists, The ProjectApplication Service can also import aSharePoint task list as an enterpriseproject for full Project Server control.
38. Project Management with Projectand SharePoint• With a SharePoint task list, SharePointmaintains the project site in a sitecollection; Project Professional cansynchronize with and update the tasks list.A project site can be an independentSharePoint tasks list or a tasks list that issynchronized with an .mpp file; the .mppfile can be stored locally or in a SharePointlibrary.
39. SharePoint Task List Approach
40. Project Server Approach
41. SharePoint and Project ServerCollaboration• Connect teams
42. SharePoint - Project ManagementWhen implementing project management is thatif you try for too much too soon, you will fail…
43. SharePoint – Project SiteAbility to create a SharePoint Site Dedicated to asingle project to act as a central repository ofproject content.
44. Demo: SharePoint and ProjectServer In Action
45. Royal Oak306 S. Washington Ave.Suite 212Royal Oak, MI 48067(248) 546-1800Grand Rapids15 Ionia SWSuite 270Grand Rapids, MI 49503(616) 776-1600Thank Youwww.cdh.com