This tutorial is meant to be used
simultaneously with Google+
What is Google Hangout?
It is a multilayered social
network used to video chat,
share media, collaborate on
files, and chat via typing.
Who can use it?
Anyone is free to use Google
Hangouts, all you need is a
valid Google+ account.
Objectives of the Tutorial
• Gain a working knowledge base of Google
• Be able to create and invite others to a Google
• Use applications inside of Google Hangout.
• Have the skills necessary to create a
collaborated document via Google Hangout.
To Start a hangout
simply select the
Hangouts on the air
from the drop down
menu on the left of
Then select the blue
“Start a Hangout on
Air” button. This will
redirect you to the
This toolbar located at the top of the hangout
window allows you to add people by entering their
email, name, or telephone number. It also controls
your microphone, web camera, video quality,
settings, and ending the call capabilities.
This side bar displays all the media options
available to the people inside the hangout.
• Chat allows you to type in a group
forum to those inside the hangout
• Screen Share substitutes your
webcam presence with a live stream
of what you see on the screen of your
• Capture Photo lets you take a photo
of everyone inside the hangout.
• Google Docs lets you simultaneously
work on documents shared with the
• Google Effects allows you to add fun
effects to your webcam presence
• Youtube allows you to share videos
and watch together inside of the
Other Applications made
be searched for and
added as deemed
Using Google Docs
Drag and Drop files to be worked on.
Select upload when you’ve properly deposited
the file you want to collaborate on.
Once a document is uploaded it can then be
worked on by all members of the hangout just as
they would a normal Google Doc file. Members
can communicate through the chat function while
editing to keep collaboration easy.
• Google Hangout is accessible to anyone
with a Google+ account
• Google Hangouts are used for multimedia
• Google Docs are incorporated into the
Hangout for easy collaborations.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.