How to use this presentationThis presentation is a tutorial to help guide you through usingHangouts and its features.You can view this presentation by pressing F5 and scroll throughby using the link buttons or by using the left and right keys onyour keyboard. (Links and buttons only work in this mode).Click the button on the top right to go back to the menu slide.If you have any questions or would like more help usingHangouts, please contact me at email@example.com
MenuHow to use this presentationWhat are Hangouts?Tutorial – Setting upTutorial – Basic featuresTutorial – inviting peopleTutorial – Changing settings and using Chat
What are Hangouts?‘Hangouts’ are places used to facilitate group video chat. Thereis a maximum of 10 people participating in a single Hangout atany point in time, however, anyone on the web could join the‘Hangout’ if it is made public.Other features include ‘Screen Share’ which allows theparticipants of the chat to view your screen and ‘Youtube’, whichallows all of the participants to watch a Youtube video together.All participants of a ‘Hangout’ must have a Google+ account. Tofind out more about ‘Hangouts’ visit:www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts
1. Using your login details, log on to Google+ www.plus.google.com2. It will ask you to create an account, fill in your details3. Click ‘Upgrade’ on the bottom right of the page4. Click ‘Continue’ until you reach the next page…
1. Upload an image (so the learner or colleague can recognise you)2. Only fill in the ‘Where do you work’ section3. Click ‘Finish’
1. This page will then appear. It is the ‘Home’ page of your Google+.2. To start a Hangout, Click the ‘Hangouts’ button on the left or the ‘Start aHangout’ button on the top right of the screen.
1. A page may come up asking you to install a plugin, simply follow theinstructions given to install it until you reach a screen similar to below.2. Make sure the top box is empty by removing ‘your circles’ (shown below)3. Name the Hangout. (E.G. [tutor name] CT256 tutorial.)4. Click Hang out!
Below is the window of the hangout. I have labelled the main features. The more you use it, the more accustomed you will get! Name of Mute ExitChat Hangout microphone Watch a video Share your Turn screen camera off
1. To invite/ share your hangout with others, you will need to give them the ‘unique URL’ . This is labelled below. 2. Copy and paste it into an email and send to the invitee(s).Unique URL
1. When someone is invited to a Hangout and they go to the unique URL, they will have to go through the process mentioned in this tutorial to set up an account and install the Hangout plugin (if it hasn’t been done already on the PC being used).2. Once they are ready, a screen will come up where you can test your camera and microphone. Click ‘Join’ when ready.
This is what the Hangout window looks like when someone joins. Up to 9people can potentially join and each one will appear at the bottom. You canclick on their screen to enlarge it. Click to enlarge
1. You should be able talk and see each other. Click on the settings button to edit the microphone and camera settings, if necessary. 2. If you wish to make a written comment, you can use the chat window. A number in brackets indicates that someone has ‘chatted’ to you. 3. Click ‘Chat’ to view the chat. SettingsClick to openchat
1. Highlighted is the chat window. Everyone in the Hangout can see and participate in this chat.2. Click in the chat bar, type some text and press enter on your keyboard to ‘chat’ back. Chat bar