Kenneth Copeland Phone: 817.978.0120 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Gonzalo A. Ponce Phone: 512.416.3258Fax: 512.416.3349Email: email@example.com Carlos Lopez Phone: 512.416.3214 Fax: 512.416.3349Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Patricia Turner Phone: 979.458.2619Fax: 979.845.4872Email: email@example.com Terry Pence Phone: 512.416.4134Fax: 512.416.3349Email: firstname.lastname@example.org John Young Phone: 512.424.2803Fax: 512.424.0000Email: email@example.com Jim Hollis Phone: 512.416.3168 Fax: 512.416.3349Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Gary Dupriest Phone: 877.743.3867Email: email@example.com Chris Willrich Phone: 512.416.3178 Fax: 512.416.3349Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TxDOT Motorcycle Safety Program
Motorcycle Safety Program TxDOT | Traffic Operations
Motorcycle Safety Program
Traffic Operations Division
Traffic Safety Section
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 2
Traffic Safety Representatives
• National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
– Frank Marrero, Regional Program Manager
• Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT)
– Carol Rawson, Traffic Operations Division Director
– Terry Pence, Traffic Safety Section Director
– Gonzalo Ponce, Traffic Safety Section Planner
• TxDOT Traffic Safety Section Field Staff
– 19 Traffic Safety Specialists Oversee Local Projects.
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 3
Traffic Safety Partners
• Dealerships and Training Providers.
• Government Agencies (All Levels).
• Law Enforcement (All Levels).
• Media (Radio/TV, Outdoor, and Internet).
• Medical Community.
• Riders (Individuals and Groups).
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 7
• To reduce the number of motorcycle-related:
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 8
• Reduce the number of motorcyclist fatalities from 516
(2008 FARS) to 460 (FARS).
• Reduce the number of un-helmeted motorcyclist
fatalities from 316 (2008 FARS) to 290 (FARS).
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 9
• Improve public information and education on motorcycle safety,
including the value of wearing a helmet and motorcycle licensing
• Improve public information and education on the value of not
operating a motorcycle while under the influence of alcohol
and/or other drugs.
• Improve public information and education on the value of
wearing a helmet.
• Increase enforcement of existing motorcycle helmet law for riders
and passengers under 21.
• Increase rider education and training.
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 10
Public Information and Education
• Drink. Ride. Lose.
– Rider Awareness. Impaired Riding.
• Look. Learn. Live.
– Motorists Awareness, Rider Education, Rider Awareness.
• Look Twice for Motorcyclists
– Motorists Awareness.
• Share the Road
– Motorists Awareness.
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 12
Rider Education & Training
SEP OCT NOV DEC JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 13
• Motorcycle Safety Projects
– Motorcycle Safety Awareness PI&E Campaign
• Multi-media campaign.
• Share the Road. Look Twice for Motorcycles.
– Statewide Coordination of Motorcycle Safety Initiatives
• Texas Motorcycle Safety Coalition and Board.
• Motorcycle Safety Forum. February 7, 2011.
• Maintain the Look, Learn, Live website.
– Texas Law Enforcement Motorcycle Safety: Awareness and
Enforcement Training Course Implementation
• Classroom-based curriculum package and pilot course.
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 14
• Motorcycle Safety Awareness PI&E Campaign
• Press Event: 10am, April 12, 2011 @ Long Center in Austin, TX.
• Statewide Campaign: April 18 – 29, 2011.
– Creative Production
• Radio & Television Public Service Announcements.
• Public Relations & PI&E materials.
– Paid Media
• Radio & Television.
• Billboards & Bulletins.
TxDOT | Traffic Operations Division 15
Questions & Answers
• Questions or Comments?
Gonzalo Ponce, Section Planner
TxDOT Traffic Safety Section