Luxembourg City, Esch-sur-Alzette, Dudelange, Differdange
Belgium, Germany, France
Moselle, Sauer, Our, Alzette, Attert, Clerve, Wiltz
“Gutland”- Luxembourg plateau (large, flat, sandstone
formation), Little Switzerland (ragged terrain, forests), Moselle
Valley (low-lying region), Red Lands (industrial heartland)
Oesling- part of the Ardennes, only one town (Wiltz) with
population of under 4,000
Marine West Coast climate (marked by high precipitation late in
• The currency of Luxembourg is the Euro
• The current exchange rate for the Euro-Dollar relations is 1 Euro=
• The primary agricultural exports are wine, grapes, barley, oats,
potatoes, wheat, fruits, dairy products, and livestock products
• The primary industrial exports are steel, rubber, and chemical
• The agriculture economy is based on small family-owned farms
• The GDP per capita for Luxembourg ranks 3rd in the world, after
Liechtenstein and Qatar
• Luxembourg’s primary export partners are France, Germany,
Belgium, Italy, United Kingdom, The Netherlands, and Spain
• Luxembourg’s primary import partners are Belgium, Germany,
China, France, and The Netherlands
• Luxembourg’s unemployment rate for 2008 was 4.7%
• The three main languages are French, German, and Luxembourgish.
• Luxembourgish is essentially a German language very similar to the
dialect of the neighboring part of Germany but with more borrowings
• Luxembourgers generally speak to each other in Luxembourgish, but
write in French.
• In the education system, the first years of primary school are
conducted in Luxembourgish, then the later years are taught in
German. Secondary school is taught entirely in French.
• English is also a compulsory language in Luxembourg schools, and
nearly everyone living in Luxembourg City is fluent in English.
• Artists from Luxembourg include: Joseph Kutter (painter),
Michel Majerus (painter), Edward Steichen (photographer),
Hugo Gernsback (writer), Max Jacoby (filmmaker), Pierre
Joris (poet), Leon Krier (architect), Georges Lentz
(composer), Michel Lentz (poet), Marianne Majerus
(photographer), Bady Minck (filmmaker), Pierre-Joseph
Redoute (painter), Su-Mei Tse (artist), Desiree Nosbusch
(actress), Paul Palgen (poet).
• Luxembourg has been named the European Capital of
• Renowned institutions of the arts include the National
Museum of History and Art and the Grand Duke Jean
Museum of Modern Art.
• The Grand Orchestra of Radiotelevision Luxembourg is
Photograph of the
Flatiron Building by
• Luxembourg cuisine is influenced by neighboring
German and French cuisine, and, most recently as a
result of immigration, by Italy and Portugal.
• Such delicacies are popular are the famous
Luxembourg pastries and Luxembourg cheeses.
• Fresh fish from local rivers is also a popular dish.
• Luxembourg reportedly consumes the most alcohol
per citizen; this is a result, however, of Luxembourg’s
relatively low taxes for alcohol, causing citizens of
neighboring countries to travel to Luxembourg for
• Luxembourg is a constitutional monarchy.
• Under the Constitution of 1868, power is exercised by the
Grand Duke and a cabinet.
• Capital: Luxembourg City
• The current chief of state is Grand Duke Henri along with
his son, Heir Apparent Guillaume.
• The legal voting age is 18.
• The major political parties are the ADR (Alternative
Democratic Reform Party), CSV (Christian Social People’s
Party), DP (Democratic Party), GP (Green Party), and LSAP
(Luxembourg Social Worker’s Party).
• Ethnic Groups: Celtic based (including French and German),
Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Serbian, and Albanian.
• 95% of the population is Roman Catholic, with the remaining 5%
consisting of Protestant and Jewish sects.
• Life Expectancy for males is 76 years, and for females is 83 years.
• Literacy rate is 100%.
• Infant Mortality Rate is 5 deaths for every 1,000 live births.
• Population growth rate is 1.207%.
• Age Structure: 0-14: 18.9%; 15-64: 67%; 65 and over: 14.1%
• Around fort of what is today Luxembourg Castle, a
town grew after the fort was taken by Siegfried, Count
of Ardennes in 963.
• Ruled by Holy Roman Emperors, three of whom
were of the House of Luxembourg.
• After a succession crisis, Luxembourg was sold to
Phillip the Good of Burgundy.
• The Congress of Vienna declared Luxembourg to be a
German state in 1815.
• Luxembourg gained independence in 1839.
• Until 1890, Luxembourg was ruled by the King of the
• Luxembourg was invaded during both WWI and
• After WWII, Luxembourg became a member of NATO
and the United Nations.
• Luxembourg was one of the six founding countries of
the European Union.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.