Score Media and Gaming - Q4 F2019 Earnings Presentation
Q4 and Year-End F2019
October 23, 2019
All statements other than statements of historical facts included in this
presentation may constitute forward-looking information and are based on the
best estimates of Management of the current operating environment. These
forward-looking statements are related to, but not limited to, theScore’s
operations, anticipated financial performance, business prospects and
strategies. Forward looking information typically contains statements with
words such as ‘‘anticipate’’, ‘‘believe’’, ‘‘expect’’, ‘‘plan’’, ‘‘estimate’’, ‘intend’’,
‘‘will’’, ‘‘may’’, ‘‘should’’ or similar words suggesting future outcomes. These
statements reflect current assumptions and expectations regarding future
events and operating performance as of the date of August 31, 2019.
Q4 F2019 OVERVIEW
● Our best-in-class mobile sportsbook theScore Bet is
LIVE and taking bets in New Jersey!
● Secured market access for sports betting and i-gaming
in an additional 11 states via a market access
framework agreement with Penn National Gaming.
● Closed a $40 million investment from Fengate Asset
Management to fund the growth and development of
our media and sports betting businesses.
● Achieved a record breaking Q4 for audience growth,
engagement, and advertising revenue for our media
● Appointed senior gaming industry executive Alvin
Lobo as Chief Financial Officer.
● First media company in North America to create
and operate a mobile sportsbook.
● Natively built for iOS and Android devices,
theScore Bet is a comprehensive mobile sports
betting platform, uniquely integrated with our
market-leading sports app for a truly holistic
sports betting experience.
● And New Jersey is only the start for us...
● Secured market access rights to offer
online and mobile sports betting and i-
gaming applications in a further 11 states via
a 20-year market access framework
agreement with Penn National Gaming Inc.
○ Penn National also took an equity
stake in theScore, subscribing for
US$7.5 million of Class A shares as
part of a US$10 million Private
● Combined with New Jersey, agreement
with Penn National gives us potential market
access for mobile gaming to about 30% of
● Continuing to pursue additional market
access opportunities for sports betting and i-
● In September, we closed a $40 million strategic
investment from Fengate Asset Management, to fund the
growth and development of our media and sports betting
● Fengate is a highly respected and experienced investor
across North America, with significant and growing
presence in the gaming industry.
● Achieved a new Q4 record for average monthly user
sessions on theScore sports app. Average monthly
sessions reached 272 million during Q4 F2019, year-over-
year growth of 6%, with users opening it an average of 75
times a month each.
● Product development initiatives focused on finalizing the
key integration elements between theScore sports app
and theScore Bet.
● New Feature: Bet Mode
○ Provides sports app users with instant access to the
fastest possible scoring updates and data, with no
need to pull-to-refresh, real-time odds, and
additional betting content, as well as integrations
with theScore Bet for U.S. users.
● Record advertising revenue in Q4 was driven by strong
performances from direct sales in Canada and U.S.
● In Canada, secured significant brand integration with
sports streaming service DAZN.
○ Introduced a new native unit within matchup pages,
designed to drive users to the DAZN site to
generate sign-ups around its coverage of the
English Premier League and NFL Football.
● Other Q4 direct deal partners included SiriusXM, Twisted
Tea, and Under Armour in Canada as well as Microsoft
and NBCSN in the U.S.
● Further enhanced our sports betting editorial offering.
○ Producing about 40 articles weekly focusing
entirely on football betting.
○ Additional betting content also being produced
around baseball, soccer, basketball, hockey, golf,
MMA, and boxing.
● Expanded our longer-form video content, launching
original ‘mockumentary’ Enes the Menace in June,
charting NBA star Enes Kanter’s drive to become a
professional wrestler under the tuition of WWE Hall of
Famer Diamond Dallas Page. This has been shortlisted as
a finalist for ‘Best Documentary’ at the Cynopsis Model D
Awards. Winners announced next month.
● Total video views reached 85 million in Q4 F2019, representing YoY
growth of 157%.
● Total watch minutes for theScore esports’ YouTube channel were
384 million, representing YoY growth of 64%.
● An additional 146,000 subscribers were added in Q4 F2019, with our
channel now exceeding 950,000 subscribers.
● Named as a finalist in the Cynopsis Model D Awards for ‘Best
Category Specific YouTube Channel.’ Winners announced next
● Launched inaugural sponsored content series with Ubisoft.
○ Created and published a unique video content package
focusing on Ubisoft’s highly popular esports title, Tom Clancy’s
Rainbow Six® Siege.
○ Videos spanned our content franchises and included branded
integrations from Ubisoft, helping to promote their Pro League
and international events. 10
● theScore’s content on its social channels achieved an
average monthly reach of approximately 142 million
users in Q4 F2019, representing YoY growth of 150%
and a new quarterly record.
● July was our highest month ever for social reach at
● Growing brand interest in activating against our social
content, including campaigns for Bose, Subway, and
● Original content activations continue to generate
high engagement, including on-the-ground coverage
of the NBA Finals and NBA draft in June, the MLB All-
Star game in July, and access to Team USA’s camp for
four days in August.
● Revenue for Q4 F2019 was $6.4 million vs. $5.1 million for the same period in the previous year, with growth primarily the result of strong
performances from U.S. and Canadian direct sales.
● Revenue for F2019 was $31.1 million vs. $27.7 million for F2018.
● Expenses for the quarter were $10.6 million compared to $7.4 million for the same period in the previous year, with the increase largely
driven by expenditures related to the development of our U.S. sports betting business.
● Finished Q4 F2019 with cash of $4.0 million and $5 million of revolving credit facility that remains undrawn.
○ Does not reflect $40.0 million strategic investment from Fengate that closed in September.
Q4 F2019 Q4 F2018
Revenue $6,407 $5,099
Operating Expenses $10,556 $7,450
EBITDA $(4,149) $(2,351)
Revenue $31,121 $27,743
Operating Expenses $37,615 $30,125
EBITDA $(6,494) $(2,382)