Radiant CMS - Boston.rb 7/12

1,504 views

Published on

Published in: Technology
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,504
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
5
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
8
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • Radiant CMS - Boston.rb 7/12

    1. 1. Radiant CMSJoel Oliveirathe 47th
    2. 2. the big players
    3. 3. the big players
    4. 4. Radiant CMS “Radiant is a no-fluff, open source content management system designed for small teams.”John W. Long Sean Cribbs Jim Gay @johnwlong @seancribbs @saturnflyer
    5. 5. Rails 2.3.11 February 2011...please don’t hold it against them. Rails 3 is next (promise)
    6. 6. Installation$ gem install radiant --pre$ radiant --database postgresql my_website# edit database.yml$ rake db:migrate$ rake db:bootstrap$ script/server
    7. 7. Keep it Simple
    8. 8. Keep it Simple
    9. 9. Pages & Parts
    10. 10. Layouts & Snippets
    11. 11. Layouts & Snippets
    12. 12. ... & Assets
    13. 13. Killer Features (imo)• Radius tags. eg: <r:title />• Never generates markup (unless you want)• Inputs? Whatever. html, css, js, coffeescript, sass...• Outputs? html, rss, atom, xml...• Text filters. Markdown, textile, WYMEditor...• Powerful extension framework
    14. 14. Extensions• “Radiant fulfills an 80% window of need. Extensions fill out the remaining 20%.”• Example “needs”: • Integration with some back-end data service • Management of a complex data structure that doesn’t fit into the Radiant page-layout-snippet structure (or fits poorly) • Receiving and processing input from the website visitor through forms or other means • Complex manipulation of content information that would be impossible or too cumbersome using Radius
    15. 15. Installing Extensions$ script/extension install tags# - or -$ git submodule add git://github.com/johnmuhl/radiant-file-system-resources-extension.git vendor/extensions/file_system_resources$ rake db:migrate:extensions$ rake radiant:extensions:update_all# rake -T | grep “file_system”
    16. 16. Go-To Extensions• Filesystem Resources• Page Factory & Page Parts• Navigation Tags (markup) & Tags (taxonomy)• Reorder Children• Vapor• WYM Editor - “What You Mean Editor”• Mailer extension• “My Own”
    17. 17. When NOT to Use Radiant CMS• You want Rails 3.• You’re looking for a “portal” experience• You want “1-click” install symplicity• Need integration into existing app• Other Peoples’ Extensions
    18. 18. When TO Use Radiant CMS• You want to write all of your own markup.• You want 1-N parts of a page.• Want an admin interface your client can understand.• Want a robust extension interface, build with Ruby, in Rails, using best
    19. 19. Resources• website: www.radiantcms.org• extensions : ext.radiantcms.org• wiki: github.com/radiant/radiant/wiki• google grp : groups.google.com/group/radiantcms• twitter folk : @saturnflyer @jonhwlong @jomz @joshfrench @seancribbs
    20. 20. k. thx.Joel Oliveira@jayrohthe47th.com

    ×