Proprietary Vendor Strikes!
TAPI, SPI, and the
Everyone has to use binaries:
Application source secret
(TAPI callable API)
Source Secret OS API CODE
Source Secret OS SPI Code
(SPI callable for Telephony)
Source Secret Telephony Vendor
The OS vendor has market pressure to create changes, requiring both the
application developer and the telephony provider to rewrite code each
time. Two sets of separate source secret interfaces have to be
maintained in sync. Two separate levels of calls need to be
made for each operation. No reuse of implementations possible.
New groups and bodies create
true open standards for computer
First effort, SCTP
TOSI – Single level API library
SIP, with some history in SCTP
Free Software Telephony & GNOME
Libgtaps – c callable api front end
for tcp protocol to telephony servers
(tosi, sctp, sip based history)
who is calling?
(based on gm
Problems to solve in GTAPS
* Final specification of C callable library – largely complete, but need
input from those that may actually use it.
* Specification of backend interconnect protocol – derivable from tcp
method of tosi? New methods should be used?
* Full mailing list and cvs repository to host at.
* Implementation of GNOME applet
* Selection of appropriate project logo!