• We will do a different way of how we introduce ourselves
• Please join a group of 4-6 people (even numbers) and asks
questions about your friends
– Their nicknames?
– What year are your friends studying?
– What do they like to eat?
– What do they usually do on Saturday?
– Do they know anything about this class?
– Do they use facebook?
– Do they know the lecturer name?
– If you were a lecturer how would you like to run this
– Also important question ---------> Next page
BEFORE WE START.
I would like you to think about the word
“research” to yourself. What image does this
word conjure up for you??
A lab with scientists ?
An Einstein-like Character writing a complex
Someone collecting data to study the impact of the
• Simply process of thoroughly studying and
analyzing the problems to seeks out solutions.
• The following questions will give you some
interesting ideas of how this course is going to
– Do you know what is good or bad research?
– Can you identify where exactly problem lies?
– Do you recognize the relevant factors in the situation
– Do you know what type of information are to be
gathered and how?
– Importantly, Do you know how to use the information
and implement the result of this process to answer the
WHY SHOULD WE KNOW ABOUT
If you don’t then you can never be sure whether
your decision is the right one
You would be able to discuss with the researcher
who conducts a research for you
Ability to detect Good and Junk on the internet
Common Sense VS. Systematic inquiry
• Why you need to conduct a research…. One
– A customer complaint
• This can be seen as opportunity to increase your market
• This shows that the first step in research is …?
– To know where the problem or opportunity exist and
to identify as clearly and specifically as possible.
– Importantly, this problem or opportunity is needed to
– We called this “Define the problem”
Following steps are:
Define the factors that associate with the problems
Take actions to solve the problem or secure the
We called this process “Research”
DEFINITION OF RESEARCH
• We can now define research as
– Organised, Systematic, Data-based, Critical, Objective,
Scientific inquiry or investigation into a specific problem or
issue with the purpose of finding solutions to it or
• In research world, there are 2 types of data
– Data can be quantitative
• Specific question with structured
– Data as qualitative
• Broad answers with specific questions in interviews
• Open-ended questions
MANAGEMENT AND MARKETING
• Marketing Research
• Focus on products
• Sales promotion
• Customer preferences
• Other marketing aspect
• So what is Management Research ?
• Business research is the study of the organization, people, environment.
– Study of employee attitudes and behaviours
– The impact of changing demographics on management practices
– Strategy formulation
– Study of international students achievement in Thailand
EXAMPLES OF MANAGEMENT
• Study about Employee behaviours.
– So we can know about their performance,
absenteeism and turnover
• Study on Employee attitudes.
– So we know about job satisfaction, loyalty and
• Study on cultural differences.
• Research on differences in leadership positions,
salaries and leadership styles.
We will explore about your beliefs or a basic set
of philosophical beliefs about the nature of the
There are 3 types of basic philosophical beliefs.
Do you know what they are ?
Find out next week !!!
A group of 5-6
List out as many questions as you think its worth
to do the research on.
Give the reasons why? And what is actually the
opportunity or problem of the question.
For example, Would students prefer short answer
or multiple choices ?
Opportunity: Most effective way in learning.
BUSINESS RESEARCH, SIAM
We will use Facebook as our communication tools
Add as a fan page: International Business
research, Siam University
I will post a link on articles here
My tips on your assignments
Your discussion can be posted here
Interesting and productive discussion will be counted
as part of participation points
That is all for today !!! See you next week.