Open pedagogy models of teaching & learning – engaging with the world as a pedagogical model Hard to do with traditional LMS where it is very difficult to conduct teaching and learning on the web in the open RRU Elizabeth Child “Students will gain and maintain their own WordPress site throughout the program, allowing them to take an active and participatory role in the wider education community.” The RRU Teaching and Learning Model speaks to authentic experiential and inquiry-based learning, outcomes-based learning, enhanced learning through technology so when we lined these characteristics up with principles of openness and open pedagogy broadly defined there was a direct dovetail. Often challenge for IT departments (rightly so) to work outside of the box on projects like these
Integration with LimeSurvey
Collaborative work Purpose is to provide space for BC higher education institutions to participate in the development and application of open source Next Generation Digital Learning Environments. BCcampus is providing support to help bootstrap this group and some of their initiatives 8 goals for the work they are doing
Where to find these? How to evaluate these tools without a vendor? One institution cannot do it all.
BC WordPress CoP in Higher Education
A loose-knit, tightly-honed group of BC post-secondary educators dedicated to working together
to address our common dream of providing open and ethical online tools to educators.
The BC Open EdTech Collaborative (BCOETC)
1. To promote the use of open source software (OSS) focused on teaching & learning.
2. To promote inter-institutional collaboration.
3. To provide a pathway for institutions and educators to actively participate in OSS projects.
4. To encourage technological autonomy & provide ways for students, faculty and institutions to own and control their
5. To lower the barriers to participation on the open web for BC faculty and students.
6. To provide value to other higher ed support systems within BC such as the BCNet EduCloud service.
7. To provide another path for sustainable ed tech infrastructure to BC higher education.
8. To assist BC faculty in evaluating and making informed pedagogical decisions around open source teaching and learning
WordPress Community of Practice urls.bccampus.ca/wordpress
EdTech Demo urls.bccampus.ca/edtechdemo
Sandbox Pilots urls.bccampus.ca/sandbox
Guide on the Side demo
Sandstorm (BCOETC instance)
Get involved urls.bccampus.ca/bcoetc
Experiments & Initiatives