JAN LOKPAL BILLPresented By AMIYA KUMAR SAHOO IBS,KHURDA A 1st year PGDM student
Anna Hazare spearheaded a nationwide campaign to demand a strong anti-corruption law Jan Lokpal Bill.
Let’s understand JAN LOKPAL BILL• Institution of – Jan Lokpal at central govt level – Jan Lokayukta in each state• Correspondingly Jan Lokpal to accept corruption complaints against Central govt dept and Jan Lokayukta against state govt dept• Each will have 10 members and 1 chairperson
Let’s understand JAN LOKPAL BILL• Will be completely Independent• Politicians and bureaucrats will not able to interfere in their functioning• Will get whatever financial resources they require and will be empowered to select and employ any number of employees from within the government or outside.
Corruption at High LevelsPresent System - Despite Evidence, No Punishment Proposed System - Jan Lokpal and Jan Lokayukta will ensure punishment for corruption… by:Time bound investigations – Investigation to be completed within 1 year – May employ more staff to complete within time
Corruption at High LevelsAfter investigation if proven guilty following 2 actions shall be taken:Power to dismiss corrupt officers – If complaint is proved, can remove a govt officer or impose departmental penalties Time bound trial – Will file a case in trial court – Trial in the court to complete & announce punishment within next 1 year – May direct the govt to set up additional courts to complete the trial in time
Corruption at High LevelsProvision for:Recovery of loss caused to govt – During investigations, they shall ban transfer of assets of the accused – At the time of conviction, the court will assess the loss caused to the govt – Entire loss to be recovered from the assets of the accused Currently no such provision in our existing laws
Corruption at High LevelsProvision for: Confiscation(Seizure of property by an authority ) of Assets – If an asset is found to be owned by a public servant later and undeclared, it will be deemed to be obtained through corruption – After each election, assets declared by each candidate to be verified – If undeclared assets are found, a case will be registered
Corruption at High LevelsAnd most importantly Jan Lokpal and Jan Lokayukta have:Power to punish if its orders are not followed • Can impose financial penalties on the guilty officials. • Initiate contempt proceedings against the guilty officials.
Corruption at Low Levels Common man is compelled to pay bribeJan Lokpal and Jan Lokayukta will provide relief to the common as:Each govt dept will have to make Citizen’s Charter – Charter specifies who does what job and in how much time – Eg. charter will tell X officer will make ration card in Y days
Corruption at Low Levels• If PGO doesn’t satisfy the complainant, then a complaint can be made to the Vigilance officer of Jan Lokpal and Jan Lokayukta.• When a complaint is made to Jan Lokpal or Jan Lokayukta, it will be deemed to have corruption angle.
Corruption at Low LevelsThe Vigilance Officer will have to – Solve the grievance in 30 days – Impose penalty on the guilty officers which will be given to the Complainant as compensation – Start investigations of corruption against guilty officers
How to ensure that there is no corruption withinJan Lokpal or Jan Lokayukta?
1. By ensuring that the right person is selected! Selection process for the members and Chairperson of Jan Lokpal and Jan Lokayukta has been kept transparent and participatory Selected by a Selection Committee comprising: – Prime Minister – Leader of the opposition in Lok Sabha – 2 youngest judges of Supreme Court (SC) – 2 youngest Chief Justices of High Courts – Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) – Chief Election Commissioner (CEC)
1. By ensuring that the right person is selected!• The Selection Committee will make the above appointment from a pool of shortlisted candidates that has been identified by a Search Committee• Search Committee is a 10-member committee formed as follows: – Selection Committee selects 5 members from retired Chief Election Commissioners and retired CAGs. – These 5 members will select another 5 members from civil society to make the 10-member Search Committee.
1. Ensuring that the right person is selected!When the Selection Committee chooses, those CECs and CAGs are ineligible to become part of Search Committee: – who have any substantive allegation of corruption against them – who have joined any political party after retirement – who are still in any government appointment
1. Ensuring that the right person is selected!• Search Committee will invite recommendations from various eminent people from reputed institutions – Like for instance Directors of IITs ,IIMs , Editors and many others.• Names will be put up on a website and public feedback invited• Search committee will choose 3 times the number of vacancies, by consensus
2. Ensuring that the right person is selected!• Selection committee will choose from this list, by consensus• All the meetings of the Search Committee and Selection Committee shall be video recorded and will be made public.• Jan Lokpal and Jan Lokayukta will select & appoint its own officers and staff
2. By ensuring that they work well! Jan Lokpal and Jan Lokayukta are directly accountable to people & transparentEvery complaint will have to be heard – No complaint can be rejected without giving a hearing to the complainant. – If any case is closed like this, all records relating to it will be made public
2. By ensuring that they work well!• Will have to publish every month on its website: – Cases received and cases disposed – Cases closed, reasons for closure – List of cases pending• All records of all works will be open to the public, except some which: – Affect national security – Endanger the whistle blower – Impede the process of ongoing investigation. But after investigation is complete, these will have to be disclosed
3. By ensuring that Jan Lokpal and Jan Lokayukt are not influenced!The Chairperson and members of Lokpal and Lokayukta will not be eligible for appointment to any position in the govt or for contesting elections after they leave office.
4. By ensuring that if not working well, can be removed!Complaints against Staff like the Public GrievanceOfficers, Vigilance Officers, Chief Vigilance Officers will bemade to Jan Lokpal or Jan Lokayukta– Enquiry of complaint within 1 month– If the allegation proved, Jan Lokpal or Jan Lokayukt will dismiss him from job in the next 1 month– Criminal case will be registered under various sections of Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act
4. By ensuring that if not working well can be removed!Complaints against members and chair person of Lokpal and Lokayukta:• Will be made to Supreme Court or respective High Court through a petition• A five judge bench of respective Court, will hear the petition• After hearing may order the formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT)• SIT will have to conduct inquiry and submit its report within 3 monthsOn the basis of this enquiry report, the respective Court may order removal of the member or Chairperson.
What do you think? Please raise your voice Don’t keep silentWrite to the newspapers and TV channels in your area and tell them what do you want