MS SQL is an RDBMS
Programmed in C++
Platforms support : IA-32, x64, .NET
Proprietary software of Microsoft
Corporation, available in both commercial
and freeware editions.
History and Origin
• In 1989, Microsoft released its first version of
SQL Server. It was designed for the OS/2
platform and was developed jointly by
Microsoft, Sybase and Ashton-Tate.
• 1990s, Microsoft began to develop a new
version of SQL Server for the NT platform.
• July 1993, Sybase and Microsoft parted ways
• Versions launched with Sybase and Ashton-Tate
• Microsoft’s SQL versions:
SQL 4.2 (year1993):First time GUI
SQL 4.2.1(year 1993): Windows NT
SQL 6.0 (year 1995)
SQL 6.5(year 1996): Internet and
data warehousing options
SQL 7.0(year 1998): Flexible scalability
and revamped architecture
SQL Server 2000 (year 2000): RDB,
SQL Server 2005(year 2005):
STUDIO, COMMON LANGUAGE
REFERENCE, XQUERY, DATA
SQL Server 2008 (year 2008):
RESOURCE GOVERNOR, DATA AND
BACKUP COMPRESSION, REMOTE
SQL Server 2008 R2 (year 2010):
REPORT BUILDER 3.0, POWER PIVOT,
MASTER DATA SERVICES, MULTI-SERVER
SQL Azure (year 2010): Specifically
made for cloud computing and cloud
The current version:
SQL Server 2012
Microsoft announced that the next major
version of SQL Server (codenamed "Denali"),
would be SQL Server 2012. It was released to
manufacturing on March 6, 2012. SQL Server
2012 Service Pack 1 was released to
manufacturing on November 9, 2012.
There are three basic versions of MS-SQL 2012:
• For Mission Critical & Applications Data
• Advanced high availability with AlwaysOn
• High performance data warehousing
• Maximum virtualization (with Software
• Inclusive of Business Intelligence edition's
2. Business Intelligence:
• For Premium Self-Service and Corporate
• Rapid data discovery with Power View
• Corporate and scalable reporting and analytics
• Data Quality Services and Master Data
• Inclusive of the Standard edition's capabilities
• Standard continues to offer basic database,
reporting and analytics capabilities.
• Windows Server Core Support
• Reduce OS patching by as much as 50-60%¹
with new support for Windows Server Core.
SOME OF THE DISTINGUISHED
FEATURES AND WORKING OF THE
CURRENT MICROSOFT SQL SERVER
ENTERPRISE 2012 ARE DESCRIBED IN
THE FOLLOWING SLIDES :
Microsoft SQL Server can operate in one of two
security (authentication) modes:
• Windows Authentication Mode (Windows
Authentication)Windows Authentication mode allows a
user to connect through a Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0
or Windows® 2000 user account.
• Mixed Mode (Windows Authentication and SQL Server
Authentication)Mixed Mode allows users to connect to
an instance of SQL Server using either Windows
Authentication or SQL Server Authentication.
About MS-SQL 2014
• Microsoft SQL Server 2014 builds on the missioncritical capabilities.
• SQL Server 2014 delivers new in-memory capabilities
built into the core database for OLTP and data
warehousing, BI capabilities.
• disaster recovery and backup solutions with
• Unparalleled scalability…