Involvement in Intellectual Property
• World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
WIPO has 146 countries from across the world.
• European Patent Organization (EPO)
The EPO is the organization that controls incoming
patents for nations in the European Union.
What Benefit Does
Benefits of IP
• IP allows inventors to profit from their inventions on
an exclusive level.
• Inventors can keep exclusive rights and produce their
product, or license out production to many different
• Patents and other IP are considered investments
because of the benefits of legal protection.
How IP Works
• Protection for ideas through laws.
• If you want something protected outside of your home
country, you must go through EPO or WIPO.
• Filing falls on the individual or company who created
the intellectual property.
Filing IP in Foreign Countries
• The first step to filing is hiring someone to do your
intellectual property translations.
• Select which countries you plan on applying to for IP.
• Select a filing pathway that will make the most sense:
WIPO or EPO.