Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.
H
a
m
m
e
r
d
i
r
t
C
a
l
i
f
o
r
n
i
a
Litter survey results for Rancho Cordova & Clear Lake
November 2015 - May 2016
The project
Hammerdirt removes and inventories the
visible pollutants on the shoreline of Clear
Lake and the Cordova Creek...
3
Key figures Nov 2015 - May 2016
7K
pieces removed interventions
35
locations
2
Type of debris removed
Top six debris cla...
4
Labor and administration
Partners
Revenue
105
Collecting
debris, and
data entry
hours
0
Comercial
partners
0
Grants,
sub...
5
Individual results: Cordova Creek
5’679 pieces of trash were
removed in 27 operations
from the confluence of
Cordova Cre...
6
Individual results: Clear Lake
1’328 pieces of trash were
removed in eight operations
from Austin Park in Clear
Lake.
60...
7
Our guest volunteer :
Tony Ersimann
getting busy cleaning
up Cordova Creek
with Gary Hare
Thanks Tony !
8
We fight against the pollution
because water is our
greatest natural resource.
www.plagespropres.ch
info@plagespropres.ch
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Hammerdirt California activity Nov 2015 - May 2016

190 views

Published on

Litter surveys on the American River and Clear Lake

Published in: Environment
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Hammerdirt California activity Nov 2015 - May 2016

  1. 1. H a m m e r d i r t C a l i f o r n i a Litter survey results for Rancho Cordova & Clear Lake November 2015 - May 2016
  2. 2. The project Hammerdirt removes and inventories the visible pollutants on the shoreline of Clear Lake and the Cordova Creek spillway The data collected can be used to evaluate current litter mitigation strategies. De- signed and inspired by the citizen science method, the data is open and free to use. Data The data for each survey location is avail- able for download from our website, fol- low the “Kobotoolbox” link for the location in question. Once you have accessed the “toolbox” you can download the data, view the results on a map or view the results one by one, images are included. The raw data is added to our repository on GitHub monthly. https://github.com/hammerdirt/beachLit- terSurveys Association All the labor and resources for this project are furnished by hammerdirt association. We are always looking for serious, dedi- cated individuals that would like to fund, initiate or participate in projects of this type. For more information : www.hammerdirt.ch Funding This project is unfunded, all costs for the project have been assumed by Gary Hare and Steven Marler, the founders of hammerdirt California. We would like to expand our operations to include more locations and more surveys. Individuals or groups interested in funding this project or an expanded version should contact us directly. Somebody needs to do this Contents The project 2 Key figures 3 Admin and revenue 4 Rancho Cordova 5 Clear Lake 6 Guest Volunteer 7 Images • Cover photo : Austin Park beach, Clear Lake California • Facing page : Gary Hare cleaning up at Cordova Creek • Page Three : Marler family on duty at Austin Park Beach • Back cover : Conluence Cordova Creek and American River
  3. 3. 3 Key figures Nov 2015 - May 2016 7K pieces removed interventions 35 locations 2 Type of debris removed Top six debris classifications Plastic Metal Glass Paper Other 80% - 5’620pcs 7% 6% 3% 3% Styrofoam Cigarettes Shopping bags Candy wrappers Plastic pieces Paper 15% - 1’078pcs 13% - 931pcs 11% - 805pcs 5% 4% 4% Get the data on GitHub The remaining 48% is spread out among 91 different categories
  4. 4. 4 Labor and administration Partners Revenue 105 Collecting debris, and data entry hours 0 Comercial partners 0 Grants, subsidies or donations 0 Public partners 35 Blog and social media up dates hours 12 Data wrangling hours 24 Reports hours Expenses $525 Expenses not inlcuding labor
  5. 5. 5 Individual results: Cordova Creek 5’679 pieces of trash were removed in 27 operations from the confluence of Cordova Creek and the American River 55% of the items found can be attributed to 6 categories : 1. Styrofoam 2. Candy Wrappers 3. Cigarette butts 4. Plastic pieces 5. Plastic bags 6. Shopping bags The rest of the litter found (45%) is spread out among 87 other categories. Download Data https://kc.kobotoolbox. org/hammerdirt/forms/ Cordova_Creek_II 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-12-08 2015-11-28 2016-01-13 2016-01-20 2016-02-03 2016-02-17 2016-03-02 2016-03-16 2016-03-23 2016-04-06 2016-04-20 2016-05-04 2016-05-11 2016-05-25 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Cordova Creek - Rancho Cordova November 2015 - May 2016 Daily Total Average Styrofoam 18% Candy wrappers 13% Cigarette butts 11% Plastic pieces 5% Plastic bags 4% Shopping bags 4% All else 45% Top six categoriesof trash found Cordova Creek-Rancho Cordova November 2015 - May 2016
  6. 6. 6 Individual results: Clear Lake 1’328 pieces of trash were removed in eight operations from Austin Park in Clear Lake. 60% of the items found can be attributed to 6 categories : 1. Cigarettes 2. Shopping bags 3. Bottles/Broken glass 4. Paper fragments 5. Styrofoam > 24” 6. Styrofoam < 24” The rest of the litter found (40%) is spread out among 69 other categories. Download Data https://kc.kobotoolbox. org/hammerdirt/ forms/clear_lake 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-11-29 2015-11-22 2015-12-26 2016-01-10 2016-01-24 2016-02-28 2016-03-27 2016-05-01 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Clear Lake - Austin Park November 2015 - May 2016 Daily Totals Average Cigarette butts 22% Shopping bags 11% Bottles pieces 9% Paper Fragements 8%Styrofoam > 50cm 5% Styrofoam < 50cm 5% All else 40% Top six categoriesof trash found Clear Lake - Austin Park November 2015 - May 2016
  7. 7. 7 Our guest volunteer : Tony Ersimann getting busy cleaning up Cordova Creek with Gary Hare Thanks Tony !
  8. 8. 8 We fight against the pollution because water is our greatest natural resource. www.plagespropres.ch info@plagespropres.ch

×