Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Mid term report MCBII

450 views

Published on

What do we find on the shores of Lake Geneva ? How much plastic in one of Europes largest lakes ? How much time does it take to do a series of intensive beach litter surveys ? What are the costs ?Get some of these questions answered.

Published in: Environment
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Mid term report MCBII

  1. 1. M o n t r e u x C l e a n B e a c h 2 Beach litter survey results for Montreux-Clarens-Vevey November 2015 - April 2016
  2. 2. The project Montreux Clean Beach Project II (MCBPII) removes and inventories the visible pollut- ants on the shoreline of Lake Léman. The data collected can be used to evaluate current litter mitigation strategies. MCB- PII is designed and inspired by the citizen science method. MCBPII is the second project initiated by hammerdirt. The results of MCBPI and the project plan can be found at our website www.plagespropres.ch. Data The data for each survey location is avail- able for download from our website, fol- low the “Kobotoolbox” link for the location in question. Once you have accessed the “toolbox” you can download the data, view the results on a map or view the results one by one, images are included. The raw data is added to our repository on GitHub monthly. https://github.com/hammerdirt/beachLit- terSurveys Association All the labor and resources for this project are furnished by hammerdirt association. We are always looking for serious, dedi- cated individuals that would like to fund, initiate or participate in projects of this type. For more information : www.hammerdirt.ch Funding MCBPII is unfunded, all costs for the proj- ect have been assumed by Shannon and Roger Erismann, the founders of ham- merdirt. We would like to expand our operations to include more locations and more surveys. Individuals or groups inter- ested in funding this project or an expand- ed version should contact us directly. Somebody needs to do this Contents The project 2 Key figures 3 Admin and revenue 4 Summarized results 5 Montreux rive gauche 6 Montreux rive droite 7 Baye de Clarens 8 La Veveyse 9 Le Pierrier 10 L’Arabie 10 La-Tour-de-Peilz 10 Water Monitoring 11 Microbiologicals 11 The other 1% 12 Geneva sites open 12
  3. 3. 3 Key figures Nov 2015 - April 2016 16.3K pieces removed interventions locations 48 9 Type of debris removed Top six debris classifications Plastic Metal Glass Paper Other 87% - 14’134pcs 5% 4% 3% 1% Styrofoam Cigarettes Bits of plastic Candy wrappers Plastic Sheeting Cotton swabs 23% - 3’787pcs 20% - 3’266pcs 12% - 1’958pcs 6% 4% 4% Get the data on GitHub The remaining 31% is spread out among 81 different categories
  4. 4. 4 Labor and administration Partners Revenue 193 Collecting debris, and data entry hours 0 Comercial partners 0 Grants or subsidies 0 Donations 0 Public partners 1 Non financial partner 41 Blog and social media up dates hours 31 Data wrangling hours 51 Reports and research hours Expenses 1’601 Expenses not inlcuding labor CHF
  5. 5. 5 Location # Of surveys Total pieces % Plastic Montreux Rive Droite 8 1,932 81.2% Montreux Rive Gauche 9 2,548 84.7% Baye de Clarens 11 2,563 89.3% Veveyse 12 2,060 83.0% Plage du Pierrier 2 1,943 95.1% Plage de la Maladaire 1 733 88.8% Bain des Dames 1 594 87.4% Port de la Tour-de-Peilz 1 570 89.8% Plage de l’ Arabie 2 2,633 90.2% l’Oyonne 1 717 82.1% Totals 48 16,293 87.3% Summaized results all locations Nov 2015 -April 2016 0.0% 10.0% 20.0% 30.0% 40.0% 50.0% 60.0% 70.0% 80.0% 90.0% 100.0% 0 200 400 600 800 1000 1200 1400 2015-11-23 2015-11-27 2015-12-02 2015-12-04 2015-12-08 2015-12-10 2015-12-16 2015-12-17 2016-01-06 2016-01-08 2016-01-13 2016-01-19 2016-01-21 2016-01-24 2016-02-10 2016-03-10 2016-03-14 2016-03-24 2016-03-31 2016-04-02 2016-04-07 2016-04-10 2016-04-14 2016-04-19 Plasticas%ofdailytotal Piecescollectedperday Daily totals, moving averageand plastic as % of daily total Montreux-Clarens-Vevey November 2015 - April 2016 Daily totals Average %Plastic
  6. 6. 6 Individual results: Montreux rive gauche 2’548 pieces of trash were removed in 9 operations from Montreux rive gauche- (MRG). 70% of the items found can be attributed to 5 categories : 1. Cigarettes 2. Foam 3. Pieces of plastic 4. Bottles or broken glass 5. Candy wrappers The rest of the litter found (30%) is spread out among 59 other categories. Download Data 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-11-23 2015-12-04 2015-12-10 2015-12-17 2015-12-30 2016-01-13 2016-01-19 2016-02-11 2016-03-10 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Montreux rivegauche November 2015 - April 2016 Daily totals Average Cigarette butts 32% Styrofoam 19% Pieces of plastic 10% Bottles/Broken glass 5% Candy Wrappers 4% All else 30% Top five categoriesof trash found Montreux rive gauche November 2015 - April 2016 https://kc.kobotoolbox. org/hammerdirt/ forms/Montreux
  7. 7. 7 Individual results: Montreux rive droite 1’932 pieces of trash were removed in eight operations from Montreux rive droite (MRD). 68% of the items found can be attributed to 4 categories : 1. Cigarettes 2. Plastic pieces 3. Candy wrappers 4. Bottles/Broken glass 5. Paper fragments The rest of the litter found (32%) is spread out among 46 other categories. Download Data 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-12-04 2015-12-10 2015-12-17 2016-01-07 2016-01-19 2016-03-24 2016-04-07 2016-04-14 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Montreux rivedroite November 2015 - April 2016 Daily totals Average Cigarette butts 49% Pieces of plastic 6% Candy Wrappers 5% Bottles/Broken glass 4% Paper fragments 4% All else 32% Top five categoriesof trash found Montreux rive droite November 2015 - April 2016 https://kc.kobotoolbox. org/hammerdirt/ forms/Montreux
  8. 8. 8 2’563 pcs of trash were removed in eleven oper- ations from the Baye de Clarens. 75% of the items found can be attributed to 4 categories : 1. Foam 2. Plastic pieces 3. Cigarettes 4. Bottles/Broken glass 5. Cotton swabs The rest of the litter found (25%) is spread out among 60 other categories. Download Data Individual results: Baye de Clarens 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-11-24 2015-12-02 2015-12-08 2015-12-16 2016-01-06 2016-01-23 2016-02-10 2016-03-24 2016-03-31 2016-04-07 2016-04-14 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Clarens November 2015 - April 2016 Daily totals Average Styrofoam 51% Pieces of plastic 11% Cigarette butts 7% Bottles/Broken Glass 3% Cotton Swabs 3% All else 25% Top five categoriesof trash found All sites combined November 2015 - April 2016 https://kc.kobotoolbox. org/hammerdirt/ forms/Clarens
  9. 9. 9 2’060 pcs of trash were removed in twelve opera- tions from La Veveyse. 67% of the items found can be attributed to 5 categories : 1. Foam 2. Cigarette butts 3. Candy wrappers 4. Pieces of plastic 5. Paper fragments The rest of the litter found (33%) is spread out among 57 other categories. Download Data Individual results: La Veveyse 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 0 100 200 300 400 500 600 2015-11-27 2015-12-01 2015-12-07 2015-12-14 2016-01-08 2016-01-15 2016-01-21 2016-02-09 2016-03-11 2016-04-02 2016-04-12 2016-04-19 Movingaverage Totalpiecescollectedperday Daily totals and average Vevey November 2015 - April 2016 Daily totals Average Styrofoam 26% Cigarette butts 25% Candy wrappers 6% Pieces of plastic 6% Paper fragments 4% All else 33% Top five categoriesof trash found Veveyse November 2015 - April 2016 https://kc.kobotoolbox. org/hammerdirt/ forms/Veveyse
  10. 10. 10 Styrofoam 23% Plastic pieces 19% Cigarette butts 11% Cotton swabs 7% Industrial sheeting 5% All else 35% Top five categoriesof trash found La Tour-de-Peilz Bain des Dames-Oyonne-Port-Maladaire November 2015 - April 2016 Styrofoam 38% Pieces of plastic 18% Cigarette butts 9% Cotton swabs 7% Shotgun cartridges 3% All else 25% Top five categoriesof trash found Le Pierrier November 2015 - April 2016 Candy wrappers 17% Cigarette butts 13% Plastic pieces 13% Industrial sheeting 10% Bottles/Broken glass 5% All else 42% Top five categoriesof trash found Plagede l'Arabie November2015 - April 2016 Individual reults : Locations with two or less inventories. La Tour-de-Peilz combined • L’Oyonne - 717pcs • La Maladaires - 733pcs • Le Port - 570pcs • La Bain des Dames - 592pcs Plage de l’Arabie • 2’633pcs Plage du Pierrier • 1’943pcs
  11. 11. 11 Hammerdirt is participating with other citizen scientists in the “World Water Monitoring Challenge” to test the qual- ity of our waterways, share our findings and protect our most precious resource. Coordinated by the Water Environment Federation (WEF) and the International Water Association (IWA) low cost kits are designed to test the following water quality parameters: temperature, acidity (pH), clarity (turbidity), and dissolved oxygen. The kit contains guidelines and enough reagents to repeat up to 50 tests. World Water Monitoring Challenge How does the quantity of certain bacteria change during the sum- mer months ? In addition hammerdirt will be purchas- ing Coliscan CSK10 a low cost test, ideal for sample sizes of 1-5 mL of river or lake water. We want to understand how water chemis- try and biological activity fluctuates in the presence of signifigant changes in visible aquatic pollutants. Lab space is provided by the hackuarium Funding is the greatest barrier for gath- ering water data, we have opted to com- mence with low cost methods until further funding/collaborations materialize. Hammerdirt is purchasing these kits to sample the water in the vicinty of our regularly monitored locations. Microbiologicals
  12. 12. 12 We met the other 1% on March 18 & 19 2016 Hammerdirt was invited to the first national meeting of abandoned litter collectors of France. On the week- end of March 18 and 19 groups from Algeria, France, Belgium and Switzer- land were invited to exchange Ideas and experiences at Boulogne-sur- mer, Pas-de-Calais. Switzerland would greatly benefit from a similar national conference of concerned organizations, state and federal regulatory bodies and citi- zen action groups to discuss current efforts and create effective collabora- tions to address our visible pollution problems. Un grand MerSea to all the amazing members at Asso Nature libre for organizing the event and inviting us to represent la Suisse. It was a great pleasure to meet all the passionate people, the 1%’s that refuse to ignore the visible pollutants and actually bend down to pick it up. Why we do it? “Because it’s there!” Hammerdirt participated in an organized beach clean on March 20th in Wimereux, more than 600 kg of visible pollutants were removed from the environment. Asso Ansel Geneva locations are active for the summer MCBPII has added locations for summer 2016 in Geneva. Data will be gathered at various sites in the city, Along the Rhone, Arve and lakefront. Contact us for more information or to participate. Follw the evolution of the project in Geneva at the plag- espropres blog on wordpress : https://plagespropres.wordpress.com/
  13. 13. 13 We fight against the pollution in the lake because water is our greatest natural resource. www.plagespropres.ch info@plagespropres.ch

×