Second Anniversary—Aug. 6, 1947 April, 1947 - First Post-War Election: Shinso Hamai was elected mayor by popular vote. Mayor Hamai established the Hiroshima Peace Festival Association (Mayor’s Office, Chamber of Commerce, NHK Hiroshima) and decided to hold a Peace Festival on August 6 every year to demonstrate the “Spirit of Hiroshima.” (The generic name of this ceremony had been the Peace Memorial Ceremony since 1965. However, its name was changed to Peace Memorial Ceremony in 1975.
Second Anniversary—Aug. 6, 1947 City declared August 6 declared an official holiday Two main events: 1) Peace Ceremony and Memorial Service 2) Peace Festival plus side-events Mayor rang Peace Bell brought from Etajima Naval Academy and read Peace Declaration Camphor trees planted; doves released Peace Festival sponsored costume parade, floats, stages for song and dance (Chamber of Commerce wanted a festive atmosphere to revive economy)
Note from Gen. MacArthur Aug 6, 1947“The atomic bomb has given a new meaning to war. The sufferingof Hiroshima serves as a warning to all people everywhere. That isto say, a warning that the ability to harness the power of nature forwar will quickly develop until we have the power to annihilatehumankind and destroy all its structures. Please God, do not let usignore this warning.”
Third anniversary—Aug. 6, 1948 Mayor Hamai’s Peace Declaration: We pray in sincerity that there may never be another Hiroshima in any part of the world,” written on the Peace Tower in huge letters.
Hiroshima Peace Memorial CityConstruction Law-Aug 6, 1949A “special law” under Article 95 of the ConstitutionDesigned to promote Hiroshima’s recovery after itsdestruction by the atomic bombThe law “aims at the construction of Hiroshima as a PeaceMemorial City, a symbol of the ideal of making lasting peacea reality.”Made all reconstruction plans a part of Peace Memorial CityConstruction Plan.Reconstruction projects could move forward with grants ofmoney and property formerly owned by military.
Bell of Peace--1949Original bell was taken by military during WorldWar II. Empty bell tower was among very fewwooden structures to survive A-bomb on August 6,1945. Replacement "Bell of Peace" installed in1949 hanging under a beam cracked by the A-bomb blast.
Peace Memorial Park—1952In 1949, with enactment of the HiroshimaPeace Memorial City Construction Law, it wasdecided that the entire Nakajima Districtwould be devoted to "peace memorialfacilities.”The park covers approximately 122,100 squaremeters.It was designed by Kenzo Tange, a professor atTokyo University.
Peace Memorial Park--today“Memorial Monument for Hiroshima, City of Peace.”Inscribed "Let all the souls here rest in peace, for we shallnot repeat the evil." "The stone chest in the center holds theregistry of the names of persons who died from thebombing, regardless of nationality.
Peace Bridge--1953The railings of Heiwa-ohashi Bridge and Nishi-heiwa-ohashi Bridge, just east of Peace Memorial Park. weredesigned by world-renowned Japanese-Americansculptor Isamu Noguchi.
Peace Memorial Bridge, detail Bridge rails were designed to resemble the rising sun
Peace Memorial Museum-1955In September 1949, "the A-bomb Reference Material DisplayRoom" was established in the Hiroshima City CentralCommunity Center. This was the start of the public display ofatomic bomb materials.Under the "Hiroshima Peace Memorial City ConstructionLaw," which was promulgated that year, the Peace MemorialHall was opened in June 1955 and the Peace MemorialMuseum in August 1955.On July 5, 2006, the Main Building of the Peace MemorialMuseum was designated one of the important cultural assets ofJapan. This is the first cultural asset from among buildingsconstructed in the post war period.