Media Question evaluation powerpoint - question 4Presentation Transcript
How did you use media
technologies in the construction &
research, planning and evaluation
During the research stage of our project, we both conducted primary research in the form of
interviews to find out exactly what our target audience would want to see in an indie-rock genre
music video. To do this we used mobiles to record audio files which we could then analyse and
put on our blogs. We also used a computer as we transferred the audio files to the computer, so
we could then post them on our blogs, and used the internet to get onto our blogs.
We also conducted interviews and wrote transcripts for them on physical paper, along with
surveys on paper which we then scanned in using a scanner, and again posted on our blogs. We
also used the Survey Monkey website to create an online survey for people to take part in, which
gave us a lot of useful information.
I also conducted secondary research in which I watched and analysed various indie-rock music
videos, such as Arctic Monkey's 'Why'd you only call me when your high?'. To do this I used the
internet and specifically Youtube, I also took screen shots of the music videos showing important
aspects of the video, which I then saved and posted on my blog along with the analysis of the
video. I also researched Arctic Monkey's magazine adverts and digi-packs.
Examples of the secondary research
Pub locations - often shown in
indie/rock videos as they link
to alcohol and are often
associated with violence too.
Suggests this is a place the
band enjoy to hang out, which
is probably something that the
target audience will be able to
relate to as well.
Live performance- There is a
lot of clips showing the band
performing the song, and
playing their instruments
which adds authenticity to
the video, and fits in with the
convention of this genre.
Along with analysis of music
videos, I also did some
background research on the
Arctic Monkeys themselves by
looking on various websites and
fan sites to see what their
inspirations were amongst other
things, and what I should
include in a music video for
them, and the ancillary texts.
This allowed me to create an
audience profile and a moodboard to represent the target
audience for the products that
me and Becky were going to
create. To do this I used
Microsoft Word, and the
internet to get images from for
the mood-board. I then posted
both of these on my blog on the
During the planning stages we
created lots of mock-ups for our
end products and created
storyboards for the music video.
We drew all of these on paper
initially and scanned them in to
then post on our blogs and show
evidence of planning. For our digipack we also digitally created a
mock-up on Photoshop which we
then developed and added
various aspects, to create our
To plan for photographs we would need for our digi-pack and magazine advert we used a Sony
A65 camera and took various shots of items we thought we were going to use, for example
playing cards and scrabble letters. We also used an external flash that you attach onto the top of
the camera to add more control to the direction of lighting. Prior to this we had drawn different
shots roughly on a piece of paper so we had some ideas of photographs that might be a good
idea to take.
We uploaded these rough sketches to our blog, along with the photographs we took. We took
lots of different photographs, using various angles and lighting to see which would look best and
then chose the best photographs by comparing them all together. We then posted them all on
our blogs, to show how we experimented with our shots and worked hard on achieving a good
When we were initially planning locations that we were going to use, I used Google maps to find
the different locations that we could use and then I used screen shots of the different ones to
post on my blog. In the end we used a different location entirely, so I did the same thing but with
the right location, and stated why we had changed the location.
To construct both our digi-pack and magazine advert, we used a computer. We uploaded the
pictures from the camera onto the computer via an SD card and then altered them on Photoshop.
Prior to this we had used a Sony A65 camera to take the images. After we had completely
finished both the digi-pack and magazine advert we uploaded them onto our blogs.
To construct our music video we used a Macbook Pro. We filmed our video using the same Canon
camera that we took the photos for the ancillary texts with, and then loaded the video clips onto
a program called Adobe Premier Pro on the Mac Book. This allowed us to view and choose which
clips we wanted to use in our video, and allowed us to place the clips in a suitable order, cut them
where needed, and edit them where appropriate. After we completely finished editing our music
video, we uploaded onto our blogs.
For the purpose of evaluation we also uploaded our finished music video onto Youtube, to get
detailed feedback from others, and onto social networking sites, such as Twitter and Facebook. It
also allowed us to get feedback from people that otherwise may not have seen it, as they live far
away, and are not college students, which makes the feedback less biased.