Thanks for the opportunity to talk about Heifer International. Heifer is a world hunger organization that works with community groups to help families become self-reliant. Heifer gives livestock to families and trains them to make the most productive use of the animals. And it requires recipients to “Pass on the Gift” by giving offspring to others. Let’s start with a two-minute film clip from one of Heifer’s explanatory videos so you can see come of Heifer’s partners in action.
2. <ul><ul><li>Heifer’s mission is to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth </li></ul></ul>
3. What is Heifer International? <ul><li>Heifer International is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to working with communities to end hunger and poverty and to care for the earth. </li></ul><ul><li>Heifer focuses on human development—using livestock as tools for a sustainable solution to hunger, using ecologically sound agricultural methods. </li></ul><ul><li>Through its projects, Heifer International provides training in the care and propagation of as many as 35 kinds of food-and-income-producing animals, plants, education, training and more. </li></ul><ul><li>Heifer’s goal is to help recipients to help themselves toward self-sufficiency and to use that newfound stability to help others. </li></ul>
4. Since 1944, Heifer has helped nearly 10 million families in more than 125 countries through gifts of livestock and training in environmentally-sound agriculture.
5. In the communities where Heifer operates, environmental integrity & restoration are recognized and practiced.
6. Individuals and groups are educated and empowered to take action to create a just, economically viable, and sustainable world.
7. Animal Welfare encompasses all aspects of animal well-being, including proper housing, management, nutrition, disease prevention and treatment, responsible care and handling.
8. Heifer project partners learn to practice integrated farming and livestock management , which improves their quality of life and their environment.
9. Men and Women are equal partners in Heifer projects so the lives of women and children improve every day.
10. Worldwide 34,500 children under five die every day of malnutrition or related preventable diseases. Heifer is not alone in the knowledge that hunger can be ended . In the United States 12 million children miss meals so their families can make ends meet. The United Nations says 790 million people are chronically hungry.
11. Of these 300 million children, only eight percent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 percent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency. Every 3.6 seconds another person dies of starvation and the large majority are children under the age of 5. More than 800 million people go to bed hungry every day... 300 million are children.
12. How You Can Help End Hunger & Poverty <ul><li>Give friends and family a Gift of Honeybees ($30) this holiday season and support our bee projects in the U.S. and Honduras. If you want to really sweeten the deal, give them a gift of Heifer Hope Honey ($6) too. </li></ul><ul><li>Create an online Giving Registry to encourage family, friends, and co-workers to give you Heifer animals this year in lieu of gifts. </li></ul><ul><li>Hold a “Brunch with Heifer” (or Breakfast or Dinner or Midnight Snack) in your home, congregation, local library, favorite pub, or restaurant. </li></ul><ul><li>Become a presenter to address churches and schools, accept a donation, or present a plaque. </li></ul><ul><li>Help Heifer staff in the Midwest to call upon people of means and/or make connections with groups to support a project or initiative (project-driven fundraising). </li></ul>
13. How You Can Help End Hunger & Poverty <ul><li>Have your workplace set up a Team Heifer page to raise money to send a goat, water buffalo, or heifer to a family in lieu of exchanging office gifts. Do the same with your book club, civic club, etc. </li></ul><ul><li>Involve your workplace with Heifer’s Take One Give Back Kit to show your customers and employees that, by supporting Heifer, your company is committed to giving back. The kit contains both print and online resources. Call 877.663.1684 to order a kit. </li></ul><ul><li>Introduce Heifer International to schools and student club. </li></ul><ul><li>Work with middle schools to introduce Heifer’s Get It! Global Education to Improve Tomorrow program which helps students learn how everyday actions affect the environment and people everywhere. </li></ul><ul><li>Organize a Heifer display at a local fair or farmer’s market. </li></ul>
14. contact me to get involved today! Vicki Clarke Midwest Regional Office Heifer International [email_address] [email_address] 312.850.3330